New Orleans: Week 3

/
0 Comments
To sum up this week, I'd have to say that the Lord is taking me further and further away from myself -- which is exactly what I want to happen. Random thought, but what a legacy to leave in this world to have a headstone that reads:

"It's not about me."

...because that is a sincere desire for my life. And it's getting my hands dirty in work like we're doing here in New Orleans that constantly brings that phrase to mind. If I didn't have a big God who has set me apart for a mission such as this, it would be easy for me to get frustrated and discouraged. And that's not to say that I don't have to continually pray and ask God to help me get through another day, another stressful situation, another hectic schedule... but it's good to keep it fresh and clear to me that nothing I do here and nothing I do in this life is about me. That's why life's little and big blessings are just that... blessings. We serve a God who doesn't promise us that life will be easy and happy... but He has seemed to provide me with grace and has showered me with blessings at every turn. I can't thank Him enough for that.

I teamed up with a church plant from Florida called Doctor's Inlet Baptist Church. They had a group of 10--three of them were adults. In the mornings, we helped out with a Vacation Bible School at First Baptist Church of Belle Chasse. I was assigned to be a helper with the 3 year olds. I was excited about that, because often I really enjoy working with younger kids around that age. They were a blessing, but they were also little terrors at times and quite a bit of work! I was excited to see them each morning, and it was sad to leave them as the week ended. Overall, it seemed that VBS was a hit with over 200 kids. And Belle Chasse was very appreciative of the help of the Dr.'s Inlet crew, so that made us all feel like we were doing something worthwhile.

In the afternoons, we headed across the street from the seminary to Bethel Men's Ministry. This place has a 90-day program for men trying to overcome addictions. It's the only program of its type in the area. Most other programs are longer and more institutionalized. This place has an open door in and an open door out. God is doing some amazing things through the lives of these men. One of their mottos is, "If you don't work, you don't eat." So they are sent out each day to work around the city to have money to support the ministry. By talking to any of these men, they seem like normal, down-to-earth, gentle sprits. But many of these men have been through more than we could ever imagine. Frank, our project leader for the week, has spent 21 years in prison. I haven't heard his full testimony, so I won't try to give many details. But he's lived an intense life with a violent past. One man who touches my heart just by looking at him is Leroy. I don't know his story yet, but I hope to learn it. He looks like a giant teddy bear and there is a kindness in his eyes and smile like I've never seen before. My heart breaks just to think of the pain he's probably been through. He seems slower than the rest of them, and I am burdened for people of all ages, race, and gender who have had to suffer because of the cruelty of this world and the harsh treatment many have received without merit simply because they are different, mentally challenged, impoverished, a minority, etc. I think of those children from the orphanage in Matamoros and pray to God that they won't end up fighting tooth and nail through life, but I am afraid that the love they've missed out on could hinder them in life. And I think of the young boys I met at the Youth Detention Center in Mexico and the kids at Hope Haven last week and worry that it may already be too late for them. But I thank God for ministries like Bethel Men's Ministry. And I pray that these men do succeed and are given a second, third, fourth--whatever chance they need to get their life on track... and possibly, find a new life altogether by putting their faith in Christ and trusting in God for all their needs.

As for what we did at Bethel. Most of our time was spent putting together 2 metal storage sheds to house their refrigerators and food. Currently they have a make-shift tent area, but it is being overrun by squirrels and rats. It was awesome to have a task like this one where we could monitor our progress and really feel like we were accomplishing something for a great and practical purpose. It was pretty hard labor for me for two reasons... one was simply just being out in this Louisiana sun in the heat of the day. But we kept hydrated and managed just fine. Two was the strength needed to get the screws screwed tightly in their place. I consider myself to be pretty darn tough for a girl, but I'll admit, it took all I had to get those screws in. And I'm talking hundred of them, so by the end of the week, I was beat, my muscles were exhausted and my hands were sore and calloused. But I actually loved it!!! We didn't finish... we needed about 4 more helpers each day, but we got one pretty much completed and the other lacking only a roof, so we felt good about our accomplishment and Frank assured us they could finish it up themselves. We ended the week in prayer with our group and several of the Bethel men after singing a round of their favorite song. The simple words repeat, "I've got my mind made up, and my heart is set, and I'm going with Jesus all the way!"

Ok, I know this update is quite long enough already, but I couldn't send this without adding one more story... you will definitely agree!!!

My construction partner's name was Aubrey from Doctor's Inlet. On Friday before the evening service she talked to me vaguely about some of what she's been going through. During the last time of worship/invitation, I could see her sitting across the aisle and I could almost feel her burdens within my own heart. I just felt she was unsettled. I began to pray, "God, if you want me to talk to her, send her to me." I kept watching her and I saw her rise and walk towards the back, I followed and took her by the hand and we went outside. She asked how I knew she was coming to me, and I told her about my prayer. She smiled. We talked for a while and one of the first things I asked her was to tell me about her salvation experience. She dodged the question enough and I felt in my heart she was not saved. I asked if she were to die that day, was she certain beyond a doubt that she'd go to Heaven, and she said no. We talked longer and it was a challenge. She's a seeing is believing kind of girl and here I am trying to define "faith". Later that night we were able to talk again. I was praying the whole time, feeling so inadequate and I told her immediately that I didn't have much to offer her. So I shared with her about my experience and what God has been teaching me. And somehow, in a crazy roundabout way, at 10pm that night, Aubrey asked Jesus into her heart! Praise the Lord!! It was a great learning experience for me, a humbling experience, and Aubrey was a complete blessing. Her words of appreciation for me working with her group gives me tons of motivation to continue what I'm doing here. And it's once again a reminder that none of this is about me. It's all about bringing glory to God, and I'm excited to help bring Him that glory by being used to lead yet another child into His Kingdom! Hallelujah! (James 5:19) <-- I had come across and underlined this verse in my Bible during that very service...







You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.