From Terrible Tuesday to Fat Tuesday

/
0 Comments
Cleaning up after the storm
As you all know from both the news and my last update, a tornado ripped through this already broken city last Tuesday morning, taking the life of one woman, and stealing hope from countless others.
Saturday morning was my first time to survey the damage. The images were all too familiar, as I remembered my tours last summer of the 9th Ward post-Katrina. The tornado's path was mapped out by complete destruction. On either side of the path, roofs were ripped off houses, windows had been blown out, and debris was everywhere. A thing to remember here in this city, this "debris" was once a part of someone's home, a part of his or her life and history. Imagine losing all of your precious photographs, your great-grandmother's dining table, the china given to you on your wedding day by your parents who have since passed away. Granted, life is not about storing up treasures while on Earth, but there is a sadness involved in losing what is familiar to us and having to start over. And that is what so many families have had to do in this city. And what many are having to do once again after last Tuesday's wretched storm.

More than just seeing the damage, I had the opportunity to help clean up. A team of us went out from the seminary to the neighborhood of Ponchatrain Park (within a mile of the seminary). We were joined by teams from LSU, the Arkansas Baptist Association, and various journalists from local and national agencies who volunteer for clean-up when they get the chance. The house we were assigned to belongs to Melvin and his wife Mary. Mary suffers from arthritis and is confined to a wheelchair. They are living out of their FEMA trailer while their house is slowly being worked on. It is still completely gutted and lacks a roof. Luckily, the storm didn't damage the house, but the backyard (which has remained a wreck since Katrina), received further damage and needed desperately to be dealt with. That was our task. We worked for several hours and were able to clean it up completely. It was a massive undertaking, and we were all proud to have accomplished it! God truly gave us the strength because I heard many comment on the impossibility of the project. I am a firm believer of remembering how God has worked in the past. Last summer, I saw Him assist His laborers in some amazing undertakings, and I expected no less from Him on Saturday. With His strength, we finished the task and I pray we were a special blessing to Melvin, his wife, and also to the neighbors and FEMA workers who observed our efforts. May God receive all the glory.

Mardi Gras

In stark contrast to last Tuesday, this Tuesday marks a big, fat celebration, Mardi Gras. My main complaint about this holiday that is celebrated here for approximately two months… traffic is horrendous! Although I'm not big on crowds, I did feel it my responsibility to do this city the honor of attending at least one parade. Saturday I went to Endymion (the name of the parade) with a few girlfriends and our friend Edmund. We were on the family-friendlier side of the parade. Most of the "craziness" occurs miles down the road in the French Quarter. It started off slow, but we ended up having a fun time. Taylor Hicks was the Grand Marshal. My friend Emily caught a string of beads from his hand.

The band Journey was the Co-Grand Marshal, and Styx was on a float as well. (Both of those a bit before my time, but I'll include pictures in case any of you are fans!) We didn't stay for the entire parade… our pounds of beads around our neck got the best of us. Edmund called us Mardi Gras divas.

So I can now say I have been to a Mardi Gras parade. I get invited to one about every day, but I don't have the energy to keep up with all of that! And… I have homework to catch up on.

I know I mentioned the Mardi Gras festivities in my last update, but I neglected to ask you to pray on behalf of all those out there in that colorful mess. I saw at least three young girls before even 6pm who couldn't even hold themselves up to walk because they were so drunk. It is saddening to me that so many people think that moments like these are the highlights of life. There is so much more to life… so much more to life outside of the "what's in it for me?" and "how much fun can I have?" attitude.

I am praying for wisdom for myself this week... lots of scheduling and coordinating. As I've said before, it's a giant undertaking. Please continue to pray for me as this is what God has called me here to do, and I want to do it well… not to mention the upcoming groups and the ministries/organizations throughout the city are depending on me for it.

Happy early Fat Tuesday to each of you! One good thing about Mardi Gras for me… it's a paid holiday.

Blessings,
Hannah



You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.