Latrine project in Chevrine

/
0 Comments
Children's Nutrition Program wears many hats, but all with the same focus... To raise a healthy generation of children who can in turn help raise Haiti out of its impoverished situation. I've already blogged about a couple of their nutrition programs. Now I'll tell you about one of their Safe Water efforts.

But before I do... let's answer a couple questions... Why is safe water so important in Haiti? And why is an organization called Children's Nutrition Program putting so much effort into a safe water program? A good answer can be found on CNP's website:
"Diarrhea and malnutrition have a strong connection in children. Malnutrition may predispose a child to diarrhea, and diarrhea can aggravate malnutrition. Diarrhea often persists much longer with malnourished children and with a greater severity resulting in a higher mortality rate. In a country where 30 percent of deaths of children under fiver are caused by diarrhea, ensuring access to clean water and providing guidance on good hygiene practices save lives." 
 CNP helps teach families safe water practices, we've installed over 100 biosand filters in schools and homes throughout the Leogane area, and we're currently finishing up a latrine pilot project in Chevrine. The latter is where I've spent a bit of time these past couple of weeks. Like most of the areas where we work, Chevrine is up in the mountains surrounding Leogane. A vehicle can only take you so far before you're forced to hike the rest of the way. There was a road that ran along the river, but Hurricane Sandy took it out. The first time we went, we walked quite a ways along the riverbed before we even reached the foot of the mountain path. The river isn't typically that deep this time of year, but the current is still very strong. It's easy to lose your footing and you could be in more trouble than you realize. During the rainy season, many lives are lost trying to cross these rivers.



Hiking through these mountains is an interesting thing. On the one hand, I'm amazed by the fact that this is actually "my job"! Someone is telling me that I have to spend my work day in the hills of God's creation. I love it! On the other hand, it's a bit crazy to realize that the very mountains you see all around you are what you are about to climb up and over and up and over and up and over again! To look out at them, it's both beautiful--and exhausting! And I suppose if I had a third hand, all the while I'm processing the fact that although I love to hike and be in nature, I do it mostly for recreation and by choice... and yet, the people I'm passing on the trail are doing it out of necessity and survival. There's no running water up in these mountains. No electricity. No supply stores. Schools and clinics are usually 1-2 hours away. You've got your own two feet, maybe a donkey or horse if you're extra blessed, and maybe a couple kids--if they're old enough... at least 5 or so--to help out. Perhaps your children are the ones who aren't able to go to school because 1) you need them to help with basic household chores and 2) you really can't afford it anyway. Even though every day on their way back up the mountain, carrying a heavy bucket of water or leading the mule, they see the other children in their uniforms, somehow getting the blessing (for now) of an education. (Though in reality, how good of an education is it really?)

But the views are incredible. And I try to soak it all in on my way up. I can already feel myself getting stronger with each hike. I love the variety of my internship here. Being in the mountains and getting to know these communities will definitely be a highlight of my year!





We finally reach Regina's house in Chevrine. Regina is one of our monitrices, a community nutrition worker who has been trained to help her own community lead healthier lives for themselves and their families. Chevrine was chosen as the location for our pilot latrine project. Thanks to the sponsorship of the Chattanooga Breakfast Rotary Club, we've been able to install 50 latrines in Chevrine. These latrines are designed to also help toward reforestation in Haiti. They're called "Arborloos". After the initial latrine spot is filled, the base, frame and handwashing system are moved to another site and a fruit tree is planted in its place. Here's Regina showing off her completed latrine. I can personally attest to the fact that its much easier and more sanitary than a latrine-less situation. :)


Regina's house
While several of the latrines are completely finished, all that is left on the rest is to complete the seat. We've spent a couple days in Chevrine helping out.

A square form is made and concrete is poured around the bucket in the middle...
After a couple days, the bucket is removed and you begin to construct the edge of the seat.

The last step will be to flip them over and construct a concrete rim for the top and voila! The toilet seat is ready to be placed onto each latrine.

Of course while we're there, I get the wonderful opportunity to meet and spend time with Regina's family and others in the community. This is what I love the most!! It's easy for all of us to get sucked into the tasks of the day, but the most important thing in the end is the relationships we're building and the impression we're leaving on others. I pray that my time in Chevrine and with CNP in general, yields fruit of a year well spent loving on people and empowering them to transform their lives both in Haiti and for eternity.






This is Regina's sister Veronik. A skilled seamstress who in this photo is fixing the button on my pants! :)
   


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.