Midyear reflections

/
0 Comments
It's crazy to think that I'm already more than halfway through my year long internship with CNP. The past six months have been filled to the brim with learning and activities! In the time I've been here I've seen one latrine project completed and another hit the ground running. We've gotten our first mobile nutrition clinic started in four communities in the mountains--and we will soon have three others following suit! I've been a part of beginning our first adolescent sexual health project and have observed dozens of Hearth sessions and Rally Posts. From what I can figure, I've hiked over 150 miles in total and have spent 12 nights sleeping in the homes of our Haitian friends in the mountains. When people ask me how my time has been so far with CNP I tell them two things, "I have learned so much! And I have had the opportunity to experience so much!" I consider both of those things key ingredients for a fulfilled life! 

While coming to Haiti wasn't a brand new or shocking experience for me (after living and spending time in other developing countries), I still have so much to learn. Over the years I've come to understand even better that there is often more than one right way of doing things. But when it comes to working in the developing world (and for life in general), there is one right attitude that you need to maintain--an attitude of learning. One person who exemplifies this attitude for me is my boss Kerry. She has worked in and out of Haiti for over 20 years and she will be the first to say that she will never fully understand Haiti. Just when she thinks she has the "Haitian way" figured out, something comes along and blows that theory out of the water! I take comfort in that knowing that in the almost two years since my first trip to Haiti, I also do not have Haiti figured out. And I'm accepting that I don't need to. For me, the journey towards understanding is as exciting as the understanding itself.



You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.