A thankful heart

/
1 Comments
I'm trying to finish up Kelly Minter's study on the book of Nehemiah--I highly recommend it by the way! She references Deuteronomy 8:10-18 and how the Lord reminds us to praise and remember Him during times of blessing because He is the ultimate source. He doesn't want us to become proud as if we were the ones who brought these blessings into our lives. Kelly asks, "What blessing, gift, or talent are you taking credit for? Set aside a few minutes and praise the Lord for what He has given you." As I reflect on all the Lord has put in my hands lately, my heart is filled with thankfulness. And I don't want to take credit for any of it. It is only because of the Lord's gracious, giving and forgiving nature that I can receive His blessings. As I continue to serve in Haiti, some may think I'm doing some great, noble, and brave thing. But the truth is, I couldn't do any of this without my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ prompting and empowering to do so AND without so many of you who have so faithfully and generously supported my ministry in Haiti and elsewhere! My heart is thankful... so thankful! And I wanted to take a pause from my study and list some of the people God is using to encourage me and allow my ministry in Haiti to expand... There is such beauty and awe in the unique ways God provides!! See for yourself!


  • The children at Vacation Bible School at my church back home took up a collection of--get this--147 pounds worth of pennies! It equaled $380.66! They wanted it to go to "the orphans in Haiti".
  • A dear friend of mine, Bunny Roach, passed away last month. She has been one of my biggest cheerleaders since I was preparing to serve in Namibia. Her husband Jim asked for donations to be given to my ministry in lieu of flowers. She was dearly loved and will be missed. I will use the funds in her memory and honor to help the children here.
  • The "Quilters and Crafters" are a group of sweet ladies from my church who come together for crafts and fellowship and give proceeds from what they make and sell to missions. They have given towards my mission work for the past several years in HUGE ways!
  • A friend I met here in Haiti told her grandparents about Revenold, the deaf boy at the children's home, and they have decided to sponsor him to go to a special needs school next year, including paying for private transportation for him each day (not cheap!).
  • After I told little Karen's story on Facebook, one of the 21 kids at Hope For Life, and encouraged anyone who could give towards that ministry to give even a little something--$435 came in from several people. (A friend from high school, three people I've only briefly met here in Haiti, two dear friends from church, and two sets of parents of friends of mine.)
  • All eight children I mentioned in my last update have been sponsored to start school next month!! The sponsors range from family to friends to people I've never even personally met before!
  • Some dear friends of mine have just accepted the call to missions themselves. God had asked them to set aside some money and they felt they should give it to my ministry in Haiti. It was no small amount and the incredible thing is that they are about to start the support raising process themselves and yet gave so generously!
  • I received an email the other day to say that a dear friend from years ago sent a donation for $200!
  • A sweet friend of the family and widow of a man I considered a third grandpa growing up faithfully sends in a donation each month towards my ministry.
  • Two Sunday School classes from back home help out often, sending donations and supplies for the kids at Hope For Life, give towards school sponsorships and more!
  • Lloyd Baker goes to my church. He is in his 80s and is still crafty making wooden bird houses and school buses and selling them to give to missions. I wouldn't be able to count if I tried all the donations he has sent my way these past 4 years. He always tells me he has another "26 cents" for me. :)
  • And of course my parents are a vital part of my ministry, not just in monetary donations, but in helping keep up with my affairs back home, processing donations, getting supplies together to send down with visitors, and so much more!


I know I haven't included everyone, but there is thankfulness in my heart for each and every one of you who have given, who have prayed, and who have encouraged me along the way. I thank God for you, and I thank you for your generosity, kindness, and love for me and the kids and families in Haiti and beyond! You've heard the phrase, "It takes a village to raise a child." Well, it takes at least that many people to support a missionary. And this missionary says THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. God is my strength and endurance for this race and you all keep encouraging me forward in ways you will never know! You will see updates soon of these donations in action, including purchasing some instruments for Hope For Life. A handful of the kids recently began taking music lessons, but they have no instruments! That will change soon enough! The kids will soon receive new uniforms for the 2013-14 school year. And I will continue to provide as much nutrient-rich food as I can to help them have consistent and balanced meals. So stay tuned and please keep the prayers coming!


You may also like

1 comment:

Katie said...

Loved reading this! I'm right there with you. God is SO faithful! Praising him with you today, and asking Him for IMMEASURABLY MORE!

Powered by Blogger.