The latest...

/
0 Comments
I don't have long because I need to get back to the shelter and see how everything is going. We stepped out to lead a family to a local shelter and then stop for dinner and a quick moment online.

I am still safe, but I suppose that's obvious considering nothing has hit us yet. Unlike I previously thought, I am set to stay in Covington, LA. I moved to Pine View Middle School which is only three blocks over from where I was originally (Pathways Elementary or something like that). We still have Red Cross staff at Pathways, but we spread out into two shelters. No showers at our shelter. We'll have to go to Pathways and sign up for a shower time. That's the least of my worries though. I am fully functional regardless of how clean I am. :)

I've been receiving some updates regarding the storm (thanks Jason and Brian!). The storm definitely sped up and is set to make landfall sooner than I imagined. Wind and rain are in the forecast for tonight as soon as a couple hours from now, with landfall in the morning between 4 and 7am. We'll start feeling it at midnight more than likely. Right now there aren't many people in our shelter. At first it was going to be a staff AND public shelter with well over 200 people there. Now it's switched back to a staff only shelter. I'm not sure why. Either way, I'll do whatever job they tell me to do. For now, they call me the dormitory manager. I'm helping to maintain the organization, cleanliness, etc of the shelter. Should we start packing it out, that will be an important role to keeping the sanity. Right now I'm kind of enjoying the small community of people there. I'd say that will change soon, especially after the storm makes landfall.

I'm including some pictures. Please don't think that I'm just sitting around goofing off. :) Actually... I'm surprised I've had this many opportunities to get on the internet. That's the luxury of knowing people in the area I suppose. This will probably be the last chance I will get for a while. Texting will be the best option after the storm. I would ask that you refrain from texting me much as I want to maintain battery life as much as possible should power go out and my main priority is getting word out to my family. I will see if my brother can post an update online or something. Last update... as you'll see from the pics. My friend and co-worker Adam was able to join up with me here through Red Cross. That was such a cool surprise and blessing for both of us. We're "lovin' this" together!! He has such a passion for helping people especially in their specific time of need. It will be nice to ride out the storm with someone I've gotten to be close friends with throughout my time in New Orleans.

Thanks again for your prayers. My car is with me in Covington, including whatever I considered my "precious belongings" from my apartment. Most importantly, my photos, camera, computer, guitar, etc. And having my car in working order on the other side of this storm would be a bonus as well. So you could pray specifically for that situation, although I know that should I lose all of that, life will go on. I'm anxious to see what things are going to look like this time tomorrow and throughout the week. I'm not even going to try to guess the outcome. Again, I will just put it all in God's hands and trust in His will and way. Catch up with you on the other side...

Pics... in order:
001 - The shelter I stayed in the past two nights.
006,7,8 - Before, during, and after my first powdered milk experience!
011 - Adam and I lovin' our red vests. :)
017 - Adam: Doing what he does best, lovin' on some locals. Robert is the one local that is still in our shelter. Our shelter manager didn't have the heart to make him move when it turned into a staff only shelter. He's a very sweet man and very appreciative of our "hospitality". He also has a small TV and lets us crowd around to watch it.
014 - Our new digs. This is where all the action is set to happen as we ride out the storm.

Blessings,
Hannah


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.