Wedding time... Namibia style

/
0 Comments
Yesterday one of Monica's brothers got married. She had asked me several weeks ago to tag along. It was a great experience! Monica worked so hard preparing for the event. It went very well and I know she's glad to have some rest now that it's over.

The church ceremony had some similarities to a traditional American wedding, however, the entire ceremony was spoken in Damara and Afrikaans so obviously I don't know exactly what was said. It was a very small ceremony with only a few rows of people present. Several women were clothed in their traditional dress. (I want to have an African dress made before I leave Namibia.)

Near the end of the ceremony a quartet took the stage. They were great! I'm so glad I captured them on video. It's a bit difficult to hear them with all the background noise, but they did a perfect rendition of All-4-One's "So In Love".



I just LOVE this photo! The beginning of the post-ceremony party began outside as the bride and groom arrived with an entourage. They walked the length of the dirt road with dancing, shrilling, more dancing, more shrilling, and so on. After 20 minutes or so, they finally made it inside and the party began.



The dancing and shrilling I just mentioned. It was great!! So much energy!


Monica was in her element! She's on the right with the horse hair thingamajig.



You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.