Two sponsors needed

/
2 Comments

The needs in Haiti can be overwhelming at times. I walk down the streets and observe the rugged landscape around me. I see women and children filling up buckets of water at the pumps on the side of the road. Running water inside their own dwelling is a luxury most cannot afford. I watch as children and toddlers sit and play in the dirt with no clothes on, opening themselves up for getting worms and other diseases. In the city, people are begging for money or food everywhere you turn. Street boys as young as 7 or 8 are hitching rides on the back of tap taps to get from one begging location to another. They ask the sugarcane vendors for the leftover pieces after they have chopped up the sugarcane for the customers. Old men come up to me, palms upright, begging for anything I could give them. I pass by a toddler in her mother’s arms with a tumor half the size of a basketball protruding from her neck. This one still haunts me, as I should have insisted we stop and get her information in case I could find someone who could help her. Indeed, the needs in Haiti are vast.

I try to help where I’m able. Sometimes I have limited resources of my own, but because of so many of you who have followed along with my journey in Haiti and elsewhere, I can share the needs and you have helped meet so many. Last year, dozens of you gave towards a fundraiser for the Lamb Center Orphanage in Leogane, Haiti. Together we raised over $2,500 for the 60+ children at that orphanage. From that money, they each received two new pairs of shoes for school and church, new backpacks and school books, a new pair of sandals, and some received new clothes, socks, and underwear. Thank you for giving!

I feel that my calling as a disciple of Christ is to minister to the least of these that Jesus refers to in Matthew 25. I thrive in places like Haiti and Namibia and Mexico and even New Orleans where the needs are intense and many are in a state of desperation or hopelessness. I recognize this as my calling and know my heart finds a home in these places amongst such beautiful people despite their circumstances. I also recognize that through living among these people, I have become a voice for them. I know many of you follow along with my journey because you find my adventures interesting and exciting. Indeed they are and I’m blessed! I know many of you also enjoy reading about the people and how they live. And many of you still have shown great interest in learning about the needs of each one and how you can pray, give, or both to help them in some way, however big or small. I believe in the power of prayer. And I also confirm that to whom much has been given, much is required (Luke 12:48). I’m in the “much given, much required” category, as are most of you. Let us continue to unite together to help and empower “the least of these” to become all they can and will be in the name of Jesus Christ!

So with all that said, let me introduce you to two great men of Haiti who have a need that I know can be easily met by one or more of you. Yves and NeNe are two men who help the ministry of God’s Planet in immeasurable ways. For one, NeNe is my own personal bodyguard. Well, not really, but one of his duties is to care for the guest house and help protect all who stay here, including myself. I run NeNe all over the place, whether it’s to pick up another case of Cokes for the volunteers, go buy gas for the generator, or hop on a motorcycle taxi with me to fetch something we need from the store. Yves helps with the logistics of managing and caring for the volunteers. He drives everyone around, helps collect and deliver supplies, and is the go-to guy when there are any problems. In my less than three weeks here this year, his services have covered a wide variety of tasks too numerable to mention here. Both men are a blessing to God’s Planet, myself, and all who are traveling through.

Yves and NeNe share the same desire. They want to learn English. If you were to come as a volunteer to Haiti and wanted to talk to Yves or NeNe, you could probably have some sort of a basic conversation with them replying in broken English. Well, with Yves, much more so than NeNe. NeNe knows well what needs to be done around here, so I can use minimal English most the time to get my point across. But God has thankfully blessed me with a good memory, and so I’m advancing quickly in learning Creole, and I use that with NeNe more than I use English. For them to learn English would benefit both of them to a great degree not only with their ministry to God’s Planet but also as they seek to fulfill other goals they have in life.

Yves is 27 years old and the youngest of six children. Before the earthquake, he was attending college to be an engineer. When the earthquake occurred, his school collapsed. Yves was hoping to transfer to a different school, but the collapsed school is wanting the same students to eventually return and is refusing to hand over transcripts so students can transfer. Crazy I know! Welcome to life in Haiti! So for now, Yves dream to become an engineer is put on hold. His desire to learn English has increased since the earthquake. Beforehand, he never worked with English speakers, and had little need for it. But since he started working for God’s Planet it has become increasingly important. In addition to that, he married Sarah (an American), in November and wants to be able to communicate with her family.

NeNe is 25 years old and one of nine children. He is in the middle with three younger sisters, one younger brother, one older sister, and three older brothers. He was unable to attend to secondary school because his family did not have the money for school fees or for the government exam required to advance. His education thus ended at a mere 15 years old. I asked him what he would have dreamed of becoming at 15 years old. He said he doesn’t know exactly, but he had always wanted to go to college to pursue his options. He would love to attend English classes but does not have the money to cover the cost of registration and materials.

The cost for a six month English course starting February 6th is $60 per person. That includes the registration fee, books, and materials. They also throw in free driving school (perfect for NeNe who hopes to get his license soon). If you would like to sponsor Yves or NeNe for this course, let me know. You can send a check to my parents, give through God’s Planet (tax-deductible), or send a MoneyGram.

Thank you again for following along, for praying, and for opening yourself up to consider the needs of the Haitian people.

Yves and NeNe


You may also like

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will sponsor both! Who do I make the check to and where do I send it? Thanka

Anonymous said...

Email me at hannahsterling@live.com and I can give you more information.

Powered by Blogger.