Revisiting special friends in Haiti

/
0 Comments
My last few blogs have been about what I did during my one week away from Leogane. I told about spending a couple days with Much Ministries in Gonaives and then a couple spent with my friend Diddi and her ministry Mission Haiti Helping Kids. I also wrote an entry about my dog Fibi. But I’ve yet to write about the people I went to visit in Croix des Bouquets and Despinos. So now is the time for that…

As you’ll recall, I managed the God’s Planet guest house in Despinos from January to mid-March. Despinos is a tiny town (if you can call it a town) outside of Croix des Bouquets. Who lives in Despinos? Josien… my helper with cooking and cleaning at the guest house. NeNe’s family… including his niece Maxolyn and her three young sons. Velly… who owns the nail salon on the side of the road. Miracle… who crochets and came to the house each week to sell her crafts to the volunteers. And many other friends of mine young and old. And then as you drive into Croix des Bouquets, my friend Sarah and her husband Yves run Living Water Haiti Orphanage, which is home to the 8 children who live there, my dog Fibi, their dog Gracie, and NeNe.

When I returned to Haiti nearly a month ago, I brought two suitcases. One suitcase was packed with things I’ll need personally for my three months here, the other suitcase was packed full of gifts and items for the friends I just mentioned… and Fibi too! I was excited to see everyone again and to divvy out all the gifts.

I stayed at Sarah’s orphanage, even though she was in the States. She flew back the night before I left, so I was happy I did get to see her if only briefly. I brought some toys and movies for her kids and some pillowcases dresses for the girls. NeNe got spoiled with a ton of movies because our Blockbuster recently closed back home and they had a major clearance sale. He loves anything with a “big fight”! I brought Josien a purse, some clothes and shoes, and some activity books for her three boys. I brought Miracle some yarn and needles, a pair of shoes, and a pillowcase dress for her daughter. I brought some underwear and activity books for Maxolyn’s little boys and some clothes for her. As I mentioned in a previous blog entry I brought Velly a ton of pedicure supplies. And I brought other things here and there for all of the above and for some other friends of mine. Many of you gave items or gave money to help me purchase these gifts. Thank you so much! I love giving gifts I know people will use and appreciate. I have fun getting to know people here and observing and listening for needs and desires they have to see if can help fulfill them.

I spent most of the time at Sarah’s orphanage, but NeNe and I took a taptap or a motorcycle a few times to visit Maxolyn’s family and Josien’s family. It was so great seeing some of my favorite kiddos in Haiti. They all seemed happy I’d returned! Josien’s youngest son Bicha fell the day before my second visit. His elbow was swollen and warm. He had limited range of motion. I asked if he’d went to the doctor and Josien replied a typical Haitain response, “I don’t have any money to take him to the hospital.” Since God’s Planet closed down the guest house mid-March, Josien has not been able to find a job. Even for Haitians who do work, it is difficult to find money for anything “extra”, like seeking medical attention. I told her I would help her find a clinic or a hospital to do a preliminary exam. Obviously we at least needed to determine if it was broken. I was becoming more and more convinced that it was. Long story short, three places we tried were either closed or “didn’t have anyone who could help him.” One of those hospitals I later saw on their website that they do over 400 x-rays a month. So I’m still wondering why in the world they turned us away!? Since I was soon heading back to Leogane, I ended up giving her the money to go and get the x-ray at a different place. It was determined that it wasn’t broken but did need further medical attention. I provided more money for that and last I heard, Bicha is on the mend. His need was met through one of my friends who had given money to help “as needed” in Haiti. I’m so thankful for that friend and for all of you who have given in similar ways.

My time visiting dear friends was so special to me. I was grateful that so soon after arriving back in Haiti I had a break in my schedule to be able to go see them. It gave me peace and comforted me to see them again so soon. Had the timing worked out that I wouldn’t have been able to see them for a couple months after returning, I would have been slightly restless… constantly wondering how everyone was doing. But God is so good. He allowed me to visit that part of Haiti after just over a week of being back in the country. I’m just so grateful!


And now for some photos… because of course I took an insane amount as always! :)

Gerlanda and Sarah's newest boy Jemet playing with some building blocks

Dajna and Fibi. I can't believe how big Fibi is getting! Sarah's kids are growing like weeds too!

The "man of the house" Jimmy :)

NeNe with all his goodies

Me with some of my favorite kiddos in Despinos

The kids were getting restless one day so I helped them make this fort. They loved it!

They always want to play games on my Kindle! NeNe's favorite is NinJump. The kids love Wild Wild Taxi.

I brought some photos I'd printed out for NeNe's family. This is his dad with one of Maxolyn's sons and neighbor Crystelle.

Naiday looking at one of the photos

Jeff is still as a cute and ornery as ever!

Josien, Bicha, and his injured arm!

Josien's two oldest sons playing with the activity books

NeNe and Bicha

Regina decided to make up my bed. So precious!

Of course I had to go get some of NiNi's delicious cookin! YUM!!!

We went by Thevenet's orphanage briefly one day to drop off some food from Love a Child. I loved seeing Roodley with a Tennessee shirt on! :)

Feed My Starving Children helps provide food to undernourished children and adults in over 70 countries worldwide. They partner with Love a Child in Haiti.

In Haiti, Love a Child is a distributor of these Manna Packs to dozens of orphanages and organizations throughout the country. I rode with Yves one day to pick up the boxes allotted to God's Planet which are then given to the orphanages they partner with. Love a Child is also where Fibi originally came from. :)



You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.