My morning at the dump

/
0 Comments
During my visit to Otjiwarongo I was able to spend the morning with Courtney and Hannah at the dump just outside of town. They call the ministry Kehi Omuti which in Otjihererro means "under the tree". I previously had plans in Windhoek that Wednesday morning but was able to rearrange them. I'm so glad that I did. I was really excited for the opportunity to see a new ministry in Namibia. Most of my week was focused on visiting friends and places I already knew, so I was looking forward to visiting the Kehi Omuti ministry and seeing what Courtney and Hannah have been up to with the children there.

The gals told me they never know how many children will come each day. Sometimes there are only a handful, sometimes around a dozen, other times over 20 or 30. There were a few kids there when we arrived. Hannah and I went for a walk to see a bit more of the area and by the time we got back, there were nearly a dozen kids. Courtney got them started with a dodge ball game they love. I had the excuse of taking photos, so I observed from the sidelines. :) It was beautiful to see the relationships that have formed between Courtney and Hannah and the kids. The kids were similar to any others I've gotten to know in Namibia or Haiti or anywhere else really. Fun-loving, smiling, open kids. But I know that some days are more difficult than others. Just like any similar ministry, you don't fully know the stories of what these children are facing at home, if they even have a home. Geoff is one of the AIM missionaries in Otjiwarongo and he recently wrote a blog entry about this very issue... the joy and the sadness that is involved with serving in a ministry like this. You can read his post by clicking here.

I was only there for a relatively short amount of time, but my heart quickly opened with a deep love for these kids. I can't even imagine what life is like for them, the constant scavenging and all of the unknowns that surround their life. I met one whole family who apparently frequents the dump regularly looking for sticks and whatever other materials they can salvage. And something I will never forget the sight of... When trucks come to empty their load, the children race after them to jump on the back and be the first to rifle through the pile. The trucks never slow down and you just have to hold your breath watching even the small boys jump on and off. Once I saw the driver stop and get angry with them, insisting they get down.

Courtney shared that many of the children are interested in going to school but do not have the resources to make that happen. That's one area that Courtney and Hannah are looking into to see how to make those dreams a reality. We faced the same issue at FHS, trying to enroll children into school who haven't attended for years or perhaps at all. It's not an easy process and there's no guarantee the kids will even stick with it if they do get enrolled. Hannah will be finishing up her time in October, Courtney next Spring. I know it will be difficult for them to leave this ministry behind. I have seen how much love and joy they have brought to these kids lives. They've even hosted sleepovers for some of the girls. So wonderful! I'm grateful for the ministry of Kehi Omuti and I will pray for lasting fruit from those who have poured their lives into these precious children. I hope you will pray with me for these children and families and those who are faithfully ministering to them. 
 


 


















You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.