Meet Evenson's family

/
0 Comments
I first met Evenson and his family in March when a team from One Small House stayed here at the guesthouse. Their primary purpose for the trip was to help build a house for Evenson's family. I made a couple visits to the building site and spent some time getting to know the family. Evenson and his wife Marisolin had five children at the time with a sixth child on the way!

Like many families in Haiti, especially those with several children, it has been a constant struggle for them to make ends meet. Three of the children grew up in an orphanage because the family simply didn't have the means to care for them. Their parents also lived there at times in order to have a roof over their own heads. Sadly, as is the case with many childcare institutions in Haiti, abuse was the norm and both the children and parents were verbally demeaned and oppressed. The children's medical and nutritional needs were not met and by the time another organization learned of them, they were in rough shape. That organization, Little Footprints, Big Steps, was able to help the parents rescue their children and escape those terrible living conditions.


Fast forward to March and the family decided to move to Leogane, a couple hours away from where they previously were living, and start fresh. With the help of guys and gals from One Small House, and Evenson's own hard work, they now have a solid home to call their own! Meanwhile, Little Footprints, Big Steps is still sponsoring some of the children in their program. 


I was overwhelmed by the kindness of Marisolin and her family. They were always so quick to greet me with huge smiles and open arms. After my first visit, Marisolin sent me home with a big bag of fresh cherries they had picked from their tree. I don't always feel comfortable taking anything from families who need every vitamin and calorie they can get, but I could tell from the twinkle in her eye that she wanted so much for me to receive and enjoy this gift. What a sacrificial gift! And yet, she didn't even see it that way. She was simply blessed and honored to have something to share with her guest. Oh, we Americans have so much to learn about hospitality and generosity from these sweet Haitian families!


I've heard from Evenson and Marisolin many times since March. Each time I hear of yet another difficulty they are facing. "There's no food." "We all have 'the fever'." (Chikungunya hit them hard like everyone else.) "I need a medical exam for my stomach problems." "My wife doesn't have money to deliver her baby at the hospital." Each time I would listen and commit to praying for them, which I did every time I hung up the phone. "Lord, please take care of this family. Provide for them. Bless them. Keep them safe in your mighty hand." And with a deep breath out, I would think to myself, "What can I do to help them? I'm stretched thin as it is. I don't have sustainable programs up and running to provide transformational development opportunities for this family. God, You have to help them. Because I simply cannot." And I would reflect on the challenge of dependency and how I've seen it play out in Haiti. And I know in my heart that I can't simply give them things or money every time they ask. How would that help them?


These thoughts and questions continued to flood my mind when I received the call on May 17th that Marisolin was going into labor. I was a few hours away visiting friends so I apologized that I couldn't be there and apologized again that I couldn't help with a hospital bill. Marisolin had her sixth child, Florestal Prophête, on her front porch, continuing the record of all six of her children being born at home. The testimony of Haitian women never ceases to amaze me! While I obviously celebrate with them in the healthy birth of a precious new life, my heart is also heavy as I think of the added struggle it will be to now keep eight bellies filled. Back in March I had gone with their second youngest child, Bella, to the nutrition clinic and had my fears confirmed that she met criteria to be entered into the program. She'd need to go for her appointments every two weeks for follow-up and to receive the therapeutic food. One hardship was pregnant Marisolin getting her to the clinic each time, but the bigger problem was that Bella is possibly allergic to the peanut butter product. Sadly she couldn't continue the program and is still malnourished.


Many more phone calls later I decided to visit the family again last month. This time two of my Haitian co-workers went with me. I wanted other Haitians involved for a couple reasons. One, I wanted Haitians to be able to encourage Haitians. And two, by this time I've suspected that, although the majority of Haitians are living in impoverished situations, Evenson's family seems to be at one of the lowest levels of that material poverty. I felt this situation needed more intervention, but I wanted confirmation from people who knew better than I. I have learned so much over the years from my Haitian friends. I wanted these two to meet the family and give me their evaluation. After leaving their home, we all agreed that the family is in an emergency situation nutritionally. They simply do not have enough food and they currently do not have enough resources to purchase it. We discussed ideas for helping them in the future, but the consensus was, it's necessary right now to help put food in the bellies of this family. I contacted my friends at One Small House and they agreed to help out. I sent one of my Haitian friends to the market to buy the food and the other delivered it. We plan to do this every month for the next several months to give them a nutritional boost until we can figure out a more sustainable solution for them. I like having them be the main contact with the family because I want to keep myself out of the visible equation as much as possible. But today I decided to visit them myself...


The last time we picked up mealpacks for the children's home, we were given tons extra. What a blessing! Knowing there are families like Evenson's who could greatly benefit from them, I kept some here at the house. Today I went to drop off a couple of the boxes. I also had some books, toys, and a soccer ball that a group had left behind. One of the Duke students joined me and we headed over to their house. As usual, they were happy to see me. (So was the goat that was crying hysterically because his rope was tangled all around his legs. I helped him, then greeted the family!) We visited for a while and Marisolin told me about her desire to start a business. Apparently in the past she has sold toiletry items at the market. She'd like to do that to make some money for her family. "We can't stay in this situation forever. Always needing the help of someone else. I want to do something to be able to help support my family." Her husband has not been feeling well and is unable to work much right now—not that there are many options in a country with an 80% unemployment rate. I've brainstormed with friends about trying to find him some work. But maybe the idea for now is to help Marisolin be the breadwinner. She said Evenson can stay home with the kids, and knowing she needs to be present for them too added, "I'll get up really early in the morning, and I'll get home by midday." She seemed motivated and excited about the idea, though her excitement was met with discouragement and she told me that she's asked around for someone to loan her the start-up costs and has only hit dead ends. I told her I'll be praying about the opportunity for her. And I made a mental note to see about helping her make this dream a reality.


I thought about titling this blog "It Takes a Village". You know that proverb, "It takes a village to raise a child"? Most the time a great number of people pour into the life of a child and his life is uniquely shaped and molded by each of them. Not only that, but it's not just the efforts of a parent or two to raise that child. Often times, even in the first world, without the help of others, the child would struggle to thrive. I reflect on that concerning Evenson's family. Already, a large amount of outside help has come to their side, walking with them and holding them up. And in order for them to continue this journey of life—and thrive—they'll continue to need assistance for some time. On the website for Little Footprints, Big Steps, some of Evenson's children are listed as sponsored children through their program. At the end of one of the bios it says, "...however, her parents are very impoverished and need our help." Yes, the little girl has been sponsored, and what a blessing to have some of her significant needs met. But the story isn't over for the rest of the family or for the family as a whole. They continue to need help to stand on their own and find sustainable options for their present and future days. That is the goal, but there are still many steps needed before it is realized. I'm thankful for some of you who have already offered to help in some way. And I ask any of you who will, to pray for this family and pray for me and others who are trying to decide how best to help. No child should have to go hungry and no parent should have to worry and wonder where the next meal is coming from. As we hope and strive for a better future for Haiti, let us continue to put our heads together—with our Haitian brothers and sisters—to develop sustainable solutions for families like this one. There are no easy answers. It will take hard work, commitment, and a village-sized (or greater!) effort to walk beside these families and empower them to stand and thrive on their own. Is it worth it? Absolutely! Seeing their huge smiles as hope is being restored... it's a reminder of why I'm here and that yes, it's all worth it.




Marisolin with Florestal a few weeks after he was born

The older kids singing a cute welcome song




Jameson wanted a photo with all their new goodies


Marisolin loved the "What About Faith" book. It's a children's book in English and Creole that clearly presents the gospel. Hopefully they'll share it with others in their village.


Jameson loved looking at the photos in all the books, creating his own narration.



Food for their bellies! So thankful to be able to share these mealpacks with them!


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.