The gift of friendship

/
0 Comments
I received one of the sweetest gifts today. My friend Mesye Ford said my name for the first time. Mr. Ford is a man who stands in front of the Sri Lankan UN base as you're coming into Leogane. There are speed bumps there (called "polis kouche" in Creole which literally means "lying down police"), so the traffic is forced to slow down. Men are ready and at your window with ice waters and Haitian treats to sell. There's a wheelbarrow of coconuts under a tree and sometimes an older gentleman selling handmade hammocks urging you to try out his creation.

There Mr. Ford stands, palm out as people drive by. Quite content for someone to put something in it. I don't know for how long Mr. Ford has stood in that spot. I don't remember a time when he wasn't there. So I suppose I've passed by him for over two years. He only has one leg and leans over on his crutches, waiting patiently for the next vehicle. Sometimes I see him writing numbers down on his hand or a piece of paper as a vehicle drives by. I've often see him chase after trucks and tap the side of it with his hand. It's almost as if it's a game for him to touch as many cars as he can in one day. But mostly, he just stands there. Sometimes people give him some change. Occasionally I see him with a cold drink or taking a pause to rest along the wall of the UN. 

After moving down to Haiti full-time in January 2013, I made a lot of trips past Mr. Ford. His post is midway between the town of Leogane, where I live, and the children's home. Obviously I make many trips back and forth... last year, mostly on a motorcycle taxi, and this year driving by with the truck. I would always greet him, even if it was just a quick hello as we're whizzing by. He'd usually reply with, "Bonjou, cheri!" (Good morning, dear!) Realizing we'd be pretty regular greeting buddies, one day I quickly asked for his name. Mesye Ford. I don't know if that's how you spell it, but that's how it sounds. At least now I could shout out a "Hello, Mr. Ford!"

Since having access to the truck these past several months, I'm able to drive by a bit slower. I always pause for a few moments (much to the frustration of drivers behind me). Each time I reach out and grab his hand and exchange a nice greeting with him. Sometimes he's quite talkative. Other times, when there's a lot of traffic, we make it super brief. I'll tell him how happy I am to see him. I'll notice when he's had a haircut and a shave and remark that he's looking handsome. I'll ask him how he's not burning up in the sweater he sometimes wears. I think he must have had the chikungunya virus a few weeks ago, because when I did see him, he looked rough, and I noticed he wasn't out as often. But the majority of the time, he is ready with the most heart-warming smile. And today, he said my name. 

It was the first time he ever said it. I've told him my name before. And although I'm terrible with names myself, I know there is significance in remembering someone's name. It makes me feel special when someone I've only had a limited amount of interaction with remembers my name. With Mesye Ford, I know he recognizes me when I drive by. There are weeks when I drive by one or two times a day. But I didn't just want to be "the white girl" who drives by and says hello. I want to have a real friendship with him that goes beyond pleasantries. And knowing my name is the beginning of that deeper relationship. As I drove past today, he had a huge smile on his face. "It's been a long time since I've seen you!" he says. I agree. I hadn't seen him since the weekend. That's a long time for us! And then he said, "Ok, Hannah, have a nice day!" My heart leapt. I told him, "You remember my name! That makes my heart happy!" He just continued to smile and we said our "see ya laters". I'm sure I smiled the whole way home!

Please pray for my friend, Mesye Ford. I don't know many specifics yet about his life. I've heard there are multiple stories out there about how he lost his leg. Some of those stories don't make for the best reputation. But I know him as a friendly man who is always ready with a smile for this crazy American cruising around Haiti. He is a man who deserves love and friendship. And I hope to continue to get to know him more, to go beyond our simple greetings, and demonstrate to him the love of Christ by my actions and my words.


I asked to take his photo after I gave him a "new to him" pair of crutches thanks to my friend Kathleen. They are a maximum of 5'2" but the same height as his last pair—he's used to leaning over them.


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.