Settled in and getting my hands dirty

/
0 Comments
It's been a couple weeks now since my arrival in New Orleans on the 7th. I've had the chance to get settled in and now it's time to update you guys on what the transition has been like and what I've been involved in so far.

A marvelous praise to report… My apartment is 95% furnished and completed! Within ONE week, God provided in some amazing ways for me to furnish the space. #1 - I found some incredible deals and furnished it for less than half of what anyone (myself included) would have expected. #2 – on top of the great deals… I received a large and unexpected financial gift to help cover over half of the total cost! GOD IS GOOD!! He is faithful… AND (I've learned) He has great design-sense! :) Well, that's my own opinion I suppose. "Hannah-ology" as Pastor Mark would say.

Some may think, why is this even important? And the answer is all about God's provision. Do I need the comforts of a cute apartment all to myself? No. Is it nice to have? Of course. Would I have settled for less? Of course. And there will probably come times in my life when I will have to settle for much less (…I'm imaging a small hut in Africa, or the bare minimum in Latin America… who knows!?) The lesson I will always remember from this is that God knows my needs (and my desires). In fact, He knows them even more intimately than I know them myself! And that fact absolutely blows me away! Before coming here, I thought… just give me a dorm room. It's simple. No extra furniture required. No hassle. But God knew my true needs and my true desires. He knew how refreshing it would be to give me my own space to come home to each day… How great it would be for me to have the freedom of that space to use my gift of hospitality for others who want to come visit or to have people over for dinner or fellowship. I was settling for bare minimum, trusting Him in the basics. And He blessed my trust and obedience and gave me even more. How cool is that?! :)

I love my job! Getting paid to work for an organization that is all about missions… what could be better? Work is slow for now, but once groups start arriving in upcoming weeks, things will pick up as we address the unique needs of each group. Meanwhile, the phones keep ringing with people who want more information about bringing their own groups down.

Even though the job is what I came here for, the reason behind all of it is because I have the desire to minister to this hurting and damaged city. I look forward to each opportunity I have personally to get my own hands dirty with rebuilding, ministering to individuals, and more. This past Friday was my first opportunity to do that. I managed to get my 40-hours in before lunchtime Friday so I could meet up with a group that was in the last stage of house-gutting. I worked the rest of the afternoon in a FEMA suit, full nose/mouth mask (think pest exterminator), goggles and a hammer in hand. I felt like a miniature version of the marshmallow man from Ghostbusters. I pounded out sheetrock from walls, ceilings, and places of houses I honestly don't even know what to call them! And of course… I LOVED IT! (…My hands were sore for two days…) I'll be painting again with this group on Saturday at the home of Alberto Rivera. He, his wife, and two sons are living in a FEMA trailer in front of their home. With the help of teams like I'll be with this weekend, hopefully they will get moved back into their home soon… after all, it's been over 16 months since it was destroyed!

I've also been to Rachel Sims Baptist Mission (the oldest of its kind in the U.S.) for a Youth Game Night. I interacted with the youth some, but mostly I just conversed with one of the directors to get more information about what goes on there, the type of programs they have, etc. I am still praying about where God wants me to get plugged into ministry during my own time. That is one option and there are many others. There is one opportunity I explored today that I feel has great potential for me as a ministry and even a church to attend. It's called First Spanish-American Baptist Church. I talked with the pastor today and he and I are very excited about the possibility of me plugging in there with Bible studies, services, English classes, and Hispanic outreach throughout the city. Mexico in New Orleans! I love it!! And that's not intended to be a politically incorrect statement… most of you know of the time I spent living in Mexico… and my heart has been forever opened to that culture and ministry. If I can't be in Mexico, at least I can be a part of what is going on here in terms of Hispanic ministry. I will keep you informed!

This weekend was great. I spent a lot of time with a group involved in a local church plant here called Sojourn. (Check them out here: http://www.whatissojourn.com or check out http://www.crestwoodbaptist.org) Basically, it's a church geared towards reaching those of the post-modernist generation. As one pastor put it, "If you have to ask what that means, you ain't in it." :) I mention all this to say first how thankful I am to have found a group to minister with and just hang out with. Also, I'm thankful for what this group is trying to do for the city and for how on fire they are for Christ. It's a wonderful encouragement for me, and I believe God will use them to teach me to become bolder in my own faith. Sunday I spent the day watching like 8 hours of football with them! (I didn't know I could even do that!) Unfortunately, the Saints lost (I'm being converted, well, I never truly had a professional football loyalty, so it was an easy conversion). The city has been very excited for the remarkable season, and I believe that no matter where loyalties lie--for a city that is hurting and has lost so much--I think it's wonderful that they have been able to rally behind a team in this way and had their spirits lifted. So, Go Saints! Or as they say here… "Who Dat?!" J (At least Peyton won his game that night…)

Classes start for me tomorrow. I will be taking two, so I'm hoping my load with work and everything will remain manageable. You can certainly always pray for my time managing skills, although I'd like to say I'm improving in that area.

Also pray that I will be God-led in all that I do, from the steps I take, to the conversations I have, to the ministries I am involved in and everything else in between.

And… sorry if I did not reply to your email. I got behind during the first week, but I read them all and will do my best to always send personal replies! And I appreciate them and the wonderful reports I received from FBC Friendsville's end gathering!

Blessings to you all and thanks as always for your prayers and support! I will send pictures as I begin taking them throughout the next months.

All for Christ,

Hannah


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.