This is why I am here.

/
0 Comments
I was journaling last night and I wanted to post some thoughts and observations I have of my new place here. I've included some of my personal prayer requests for those of you who are so graciously praying along with me during my journey.

1.8.2007
I am sitting now in my bed (AKA: borrowed air mattress) as one of the newest residents in the city of New Orleans! I will say that my arrival here is such an exciting one! I have been looking forward to returning since I left this place last July. As I drove in, I was semi-astounded that not much had changed. So far, it looks exactly like it did when I left last summer. Dead trees lined my drive into the city. Six Flags of New Orleans remains completely desolate. Piles of debris are seen on the streets and in front of houses and buildings (or what's left of them). As I was driving around the neighborhood near Edgewater Baptist Church, it was night time and the darkness was enhanced because there were not many houses lit up from within or without. I peered straight through several houses that remained empty from interior demolition. I sat in on a grief recovery session at the church and heard one woman mention her 80-something neighbor who is currently living in Portland, Oregon. Her house remains un-gutted, awaiting demolition some 16 months post-Katrina! (And people have been asking me if New Orleans is back on its feet. CERTAINLY NOT!!) This is why I am here. That lady is why I'm here. Those piles of debris, the dead trees, and most importantly… the dead hearts and souls of this city are all reasons I believe God has brought me back to this place. This place of beauty and also much the opposite. I learned today there have been 12 murders here since the beginning of the year. It is January the 8th!! Such contrast to the comforts of Maryville I've taken for granted all these years. It is okay to be in a place where I don't sit so comfortably as both a person and a Christian. A place where I am forced to get out of my lazy-boy. To be conscious of the battle around me, both a worldly one, and certainly a spiritual one. I pray that God equips me thoroughly for my purpose here. I pray that if there are any areas that I am lacking, He will reveal them to me and together we can work through that area and experience tremendous growth. I am so thankful for this opportunity, and yet, I feel sometimes unprepared for the full extent of my duties here. God has brought me so far, but I've still got so far to go. My desire is to be like Christ. I pray that I fully surrender so that I may truly walk in the light as He restores my soul, purifies my heart, and renews my mind.

Peace and blessings to you on your own journey,

Hannah


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.