My first day in Africa

/
2 Comments
Since we arrived in Kenya after dark last night, I had no idea what to expect when I woke up this morning. There is a really annoying bird here that probably prevents most people from sleeping in, although I'm sure I could have tuned him out if breakfast wasn't also beckoning.

Today and tomorrow are days mostly dedicated to rest and recuperation after our long 24 hours of traveling. On Tuesday we will leave for three weeks of Africa Based Orientation (ABO) in Machakos. That will be a busy but important time. So for now we have some downtime to fill however we'd like. Many are using the internet (a slow but semi-functional connection), going to various stores to purchase necessities (and treats!), playing games (my team tonight won a horrific game of 1981 Trivial Pursuit), and just getting to know each other. This morning we went to the early service at Nairobi Baptist Church. It was a wonderful time of worship and the most suitable way to spend my first hours of sunlight in Africa. This particular church was very large. MUCH larger even than my church back home. I recognized some of the songs. All were beautiful. The message centered around the importance of unity and relationships. A good reminder as I step out on this new journey. After church a handful of us walked a couple miles to the local mall. It had multiple floors with escalators and elevators. I had a little trouble with the ATM but everything worked out alright. We went to a fabulous lunch at a very American-style restaurant. I ate a feta cheese and spinach omelet with potatoes and amazing multi-grain bread, strawberry jam, and vanilla brownie ice cream for dessert. :) This isn't something I should get used to as my new friend Colleen remarked that she lost 20 pounds her first two weeks in Africa. Outside the mall was a market packed full of vendors. I learned in Mexico that I do not have a market personality. I was worn out after about 5 minutes of every single vendor we passed begging us to look at, touch, and buy their items. I did purchase two recycled paper necklaces that I wanted for 1,000 shillings. A few minutes later one of my friends purchased three for 500. I'll have to learn the art of bartering, like it or not. It takes practice and more experience with how much things are worth and can typically sell for. Surely after 2 years I'll be an expert.

Thanks again for your prayers!! I'll update you again after ABO unless I can sneak one more in beforehand.

Landing in Nairobi with my new friends Dade and Dara. Thankfully I didn't get in trouble for taking this as I later learned its a major no-no in several Kenyan buildings.

My bed o' mosquito netting. So far I haven't gotten bit. Let's keep praying!
Margaux and I at the market. Like my new necklace? I love it!
Some of the many beggers we encountered on our walk to and from the mall. The little boy was holding the already sipped Diet Fanta that Margaux couldn't help but give him.


You may also like

2 comments:

Katie said...

I am so so excited for you, my friend! I am so thankful God introduced us and that we both have a heart for missions! God bless you and I will keep praying for you. :)

In HIS Unfailing Love,
Katie

Carolyn said...

Go good to hear that you are there and everything to going good. Hope this all continues. We love you. Carolyn and Guy

Powered by Blogger.