The Hike of a Lifetime

/
2 Comments
Yesterday most of us went on a hike up Mt. Ilveti. Unlike a hike in the Smokies, where you are mostly under the shade of trees away from civilization, we were trekking past small homes, businesses, “farms“, and schools. So why do I title this entry “The Hike of a Lifetime”? Was it a life-changing time of spiritual awakening? No. Was it one of my greatest physical achievements? No. The reason for the title is because of the people we encountered along the way. Never in my life have I had such an unusual--and precious!--hiking experience. It started as a normal trek along a dirt road. We had hiked up a good ways when we came to a school. Before long we began hearing children’s voices, seemingly coming from every direction. The next thing we knew, children were running out of their classrooms, talking wildly to each other, and mostly just laughing--very loudly--at us. We laughed along with them. One of the teachers came out and invited us into his classroom, ushering the 8th graders back in with him. We took turns introducing ourselves, and the teacher had a few students stand up to tell us their names and what they wanted to be when they grew up. “Doctor!” “Lawyer!” “Nurse!” I had only seen photographs of African classrooms, and this was much what I had pictured. It still seemed surreal to see it firsthand and I probably had a smile on my face the entire time.

As we came back out of the classroom, other children (not in school) began to gather around us. Several of us began trying to snap some pictures of them without being too obtrusive. We quickly learned, however, that most of the children loved having their picture taken. They especially loved seeing the digital image pop up on the screen afterwards and would crowd around us as we showed them off. They would laugh and poke and point at each other when they saw someone on the screen. We continued up the mountain and children were constantly joining us from each home and hillside we passed. Before long we had at least 50 children trekking up the mountain with us. It was incredible. I’ve never seen anything like that in my life. Thus, it truly was the hike of a lifetime! The children would run passed us, many of them barefoot, up the steep crossings, jumping from rock to rock, climbing trees, chasing cows, and whatever other mini-adventures they could find along the way. All the while they were in awe of us, our cameras, our voices, and our laughter. Some would imitate sounds we would make. We encouraged them to sing songs with us as we hiked. It was a beautiful sound! I just hummed along since I don’t speak Swahili. Many of the children were 4 or 5 years old and didn’t yet speak much English. Most of the older children spoke at least broken English and would say a few things to us here and there. I asked one little boy named Brian what he learns about in church and he told me about Moses parting the Red Sea. I asked what he’s learned about Jesus and he spoke of Jesus healing the sick, walking on water, and dying for us so that we may live with Him in Heaven one day. I thank God for the Gospel being present on that mountainside and I pray that more and more children will grow up hearing and believing in God’s Word.

Once we finally reached the top of the mountain, at least 2.5 hours later, we came to a market-type area. To me it looked like a colorful ghost-town you would picture out West. There were some people around, mostly older men… and of course the 50+ children that reached the peak with us. There were some little shops to buy sodas and bubble gum. Again, looking around everything seemed so surreal. I had simply expected a hike to a typical mountaintop with a panoramic view. Never would I have imagined all the smiling children and the colorful and mysterious buildings. We stayed up top for some time, took more pictures of and with the children, talked to some of the local adults, and began our trek back down another part of the mountain. By this time the children were even more friendly with us. Many would reach out to hold our hand, and shortly after beginning the descent down the mountain I stopped taking pictures as I had a precious little girl on my right and an adorable little boy on my left. Coming down a dusty mountain holding hands with little ones is no easy task, but by God’s grace none of the three of us did more than gently stumble from time to time. When we were about 20 or 30 minutes from campus, the last of the children waved goodbye and headed back toward their homes. Hopefully they made it back before dark. We barely did, and were greeted by a warm plate of food that we all inhaled graciously. :)





You may also like

2 comments:

Kelly Sterling said...

It's almost like having you sitting beside me on the couch telling me a story. As much as you love children....I know you must have been in heaven on that hike. Thanks for keeping us posted on what you are up to. It helps us not miss you as much (not much though). I love and miss you.
Kelly

Katie said...

Wow...I am so glad that God put you in my life. :)

Powered by Blogger.