Happy Birthday, Kaita!

/
0 Comments
This past Saturday was Kaita’s “birthday”. I write it like that because no one is quite sure of his actual date of birth since he doesn’t have a birth certificate (an issue with many children here). His mother, who was HIV-positive, abandoned him as a baby. His father, also dying with AIDS, committed suicide. Kaita was left to be cared for by this grandmother Esther, the head of the kitchen at FHS. Her husband Daniel works in the bike shop. Although Kaita is the youngest child at the center, he keeps up fairly well with the rest of the kindergarteners (ranging from 5 to 7 years of age). He is definitely a fireball though, and not afraid to pick right back at the bigger kids who pick on him. He beats to his own drum and everyone seems to be okay with that. As a toddler his attention span is short, but for the most part he is no less well-behaved than the others.

Kaita and I have really bonded. I clean his constantly dirty face, care for his boo-boos, and pour out as much love on him as I possibly can! I am thankful that he is physically cared for by his family, but I believe there is a definite absence of affectionate love--something that every child needs. I take it as my personal mission to fill that gap with hugs, kindness, and special attention. He’ll often come looking for me if I’m working in the office. I let him sit by me and read a book or play with the blocks. No one has complained yet. Many afternoons I’ve observed his tired eyes from running himself ragged. I’ll pick him up and hold him in my arms. Almost instantly, he’s asleep. Some of my most treasured moments at FHS are simply those where I have sat and held this precious child. I pray that some of that affectionate love he needs is felt through my touch.

As his birthday was approaching, Queen--who runs the bike shop--mentioned a bike that Kaita has been wanting. I asked her how much it sells for and she said N$150, right at $20US. A sweet lady who works with my mom had just give a gift of $20 to toward my work here. I could think of no better way to spend that money than to purchase that bike for Kaita’s birthday.

On Tuesday I found Kaita sitting outside in front of the bike shop. You could tell it was naptime. He had his head in his hands and was completely out of it. I knelt down in front of him and asked if he had just had a birthday. He said “yes” in that cute little voice of his. I handed him his birthday money and told him to pay for his bike. He instantly perked up. They brought the bike out for him and off he went, beaming the whole time. He crashed at least three times but he didn’t even care. He just jumped back on the bike and kept on going.

Kaita is the epitome of resilience. I see a lot of promise in Him. I pray God continues to provide for Him and the he will grow in the kind of man this community desperately needs.

How I found him when I came to give him his bike. I just love this photo!

One happy boy! :)



You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.