"Are you a Christian?"

/
2 Comments

Today I had the opportunity to share the Gospel with a young girl. I was with a group of AIMers and we had stopped to use the ATM. I was thirsty as the temperatures are rising much earlier in the morning these days. I went to the supermarket nearby for a drink. While standing in the slow line, I had noticed the child behind me. Honestly, for a long while—even at the beginnings of our conversation—I thought the child was a boy. I later learned, when she told me her name, that she must actually be a girl. Girls often keep their hair as short as boys and it can be difficult to tell them apart depending on their facial features. Her name is one that is difficult for me, so I can’t remember it now. We have similar names at FHS like Ndamonohenda and Ndaudaleni, I haven’t yet been able to easily commit them to memory.


As we were standing in line, before she spoke, I had already decided that I would buy the small item she had in her hand. It would be a quick and simple gesture, not for show, and no one would really notice but the girl herself. Before it was my turn to checkout, I heard her softly say to me, “Are you a Christian?” I turned to her and answered yes.


“Are you a Christian?” I asked.


“No,” was her simple response.


”Why not?”


“I don’t know, but I have a friend who is a Christian.”


I wanted to find out what the girl knew about Christ, Heaven, and being a Christian, so I began to ask her questions. “Have you heard of Jesus Christ?”


“Yes.”


“What have you heard about Him?”


“He’s the King of Kings.”


“Right. And He is also the Son of God.”


She nodded.


“Do you know what He did for you?” She shook her head no. “Did you know that He came to earth as a man?”


“Yes,” she replied.


“Do you know why?” She didn’t, but I could tell that she did know some things so I wanted to learn more about what she already knew. “Do you know how Jesus died?”


“On the cross.”


“Do you know why He died?”


“For our sins,” she quickly responded.


“Right. He died for our sins, so that if we believe on Him we will be saved and live in Heaven one day.”


About this time it was my turn to checkout. I took the buttermilk she was holding, grabbed a nearby chocolate bar for her, and paid for my drink and her things. I didn’t want our conversation to end, so after we were finished at the register I continued talking to her as we walked outside the store. I went over everything we had just discussed and asked her a few more questions. I told her that becoming a Christian gives you hope and peace in this world that nothing and no one else can give. I told her about my sister Liz and how much joy I have in knowing that one day I will get to see her again in Heaven. I also told the little girl that her Christian friend probably has a Bible and she should ask if she can read it. I asked her if she knew how to pray and told her that praying is as simple as having the conversation she was having with me. Talking, asking questions, no formality needed. We went over one last time what it means to be a Christian and how she can believe in Jesus with all her heart. I told her she could pray herself and ask Jesus to be her Savior.


“How old do you have to be to be a Christian?” she asked.


“I was saved when I was 5.”


Her eyes lit up, “5?!” I would guess the girl herself was around 10 years old.


“Yes. And once you ask Jesus into your heart, He is there forever and nothing can take Him away. Do you want me to pray with you now?” She said she would pray herself when she gets home. I told her my name and that it was nice to meet her and we parted ways. As we were pulling out, she was walking alongside of us, smiling and waving. We kept waving at each other until we were out of sight. I made a new friend today, and hopefully one whom I will see again… at the most beautiful of reunions.



You may also like

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Yes you don't know me. Strange maybe I know, I'm a random guy, I'm also a friend of your housemate Heather. I too have been graced by her baking.

Heather has been blogging but I was curious about Namibia and AIM so I went looking for other blogs and stumbled randomly on yours. You have quite the nice blog set up and I will admit I looked through the 900 ish photos from Namibia. Cute Kids. Nice walking the lion photos (ok I looked through them all). haha

You have a great blog and it has been both interesting and enjoyable reading about your experiences. It's interesting having another perspective on a world and situation so different from my own.

I'm in awe of your dedication and love for the people there. I'm also in awe of the ease in which you talked with the young girl. Witnessing is my weakness and your strength shines bright. You use your gifts well.

While I have to run and you don't know me I just wanted to say Thanks and keep up with the good work. You are an inspiration and your selflessness is an inspiration to us all. Keep on keeping on. We're rooting for you and we don't even know you.

Patrick and Tiffany said...

This is amazing. Love you Han.

Powered by Blogger.