And the fun/work continues...

/
1 Comments
Today marks one week since I have been back to Namibia. My first visit back to FHS was Friday. I thought I would share some of what's been going on even in just the few days that I've been back.

This morning I helped Linda with her glue and dirt craft. The kids "painted" a picture with the glue and then we went outside and put dirt all over it. I was just as excited as the kids were to see what the dirt would reveal. They absolutely loved it and really did a fabulous job!

On goes the glue...

...then a bit of dirt...

... carefully lift up the paper...

... and voilà! You have something like this...

... or this...

... or these!

Even Teacher Elizabeth took part in the fun.

Months ago, FHS received a donation from UNICEF who had partnered with CROCS to put their shoes on the feet of those who often go without, or who could at least use an improvement for better comfort and protection. We are down to the last few boxes, but I wanted to share this donation with you because we were all very happy about it. They donated over 400 pairs of CROCS--all sizes, colors, and styles!

This week we are also working with all of the sponsored kids at FHS to draw a picture for their sponsor. This happens once a year and FHS staff and volunteers go to each of the main schools and assist the kids with their drawings. Not all of the sponsored kids come to the center regularly, so this is the easiest way to ensure all the kids complete them. It is always fun to see what creative ideas the children have for their drawings. Of course, not all the children at FHS are sponsored yet. About 150 children (out of 450) at FHS are still waiting for a sponsor. I have given some information before about this, but if you would like to know more about how to sponsor a child at FHS please email me. Sponsors help pay for their school fees, school uniform, hygiene products, etc. Most families in Namibia live on $1-2 a day, so it is difficult for them to pay for these things--especially considering that most families have several children in each household.

Speaking of children... There are often babies and toddlers hanging around FHS. Meme Esther, for example, is always taking care of children other than just her own. She'll have a baby on her back and be working away preparing food for some 200-250 kids at the center each day. The baby below is named Danke, which means "thank you" in Afrikaans. He's a cutie and getting very talkative. He fell asleep on her back while she was serving lunch today so I took him from her and laid him down on his "cot". He woke up later with even more energy!

My precious friend Shiwa still hangs around. She's been "attending" the kindergarten in the back of the building with Kaita, though they are both often found wandering around amongst the big kids at FHS. They sure are cute, but they are cute little trouble-makers at times! :) I am still working with the grandmother to obtain Shiwa's birth certificate so we can pursue an application for her to attend a special school.

Finally, I am still meeting with my older girls at least one afternoon a week and working with them as they write their story of what it's like to be a child in Namibia (see this blog for more info about my creative writing class). Many have finished and the rest are at least halfway done. This has been a wonderful and heartbreaking experience for me as I read through these stories. They seem to be enjoying the creative aspect, and I hope some of my goals of increasing their self-esteem and confidence are being met as we continue with this and other activities.



You may also like

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Lots of great stuff in this post...thanks for sharing.

oh my WORD i can't wait to see you :)

xo

Powered by Blogger.