My day with Tsaura

/
0 Comments
Remember Ouma and Oupa? (Nova's grandparents.) I went with Nova to their village back in August. They recently came to Windhoek for a doctor's visit and were here for several days. They brought along Tsaura, the adorable little girl who lives with them. On Friday, I asked if I could hangout with Tsaura for the day. Ouma wasn't feeling well and Nova was working. I thought it would help give Ouma some extra rest. Tsaura went with me to the center. FHS was having a culture day celebration. The children from each tribe would dance for us. It was a day filled with smiles and lots of laughter. Tsaura was captivated by all of the hyper children and activities. I sent her on stage with the other little ones during their special dance time. She stood as still as a statue. A couple hours later, however, she was running and dancing all over the place! She enjoyed the Herrero bread and Morvite (a nutritional drink we often serve the kids) and the pasta and meat lunch with extra treats and sweets given on this special day. She was wearing one of her new outfits that I was able to purchase for her through the donations given to me while I was back home last month.


After FHS, we went back to my house. She watched a bit of Ice Age, sat and colored a little (not sure she's ever colored with a proper coloring book before), and mostly chased Candace and Heather around the house--giggling the entire time. From there we went to the showgrounds where they were having some kind of an agricultural fair. Tsaura was fascinated by some of the booths that had toys, including a pretty nifty bubble machine. She nearly fell asleep standing up when Candace, Heather, and I found a booth selling recycled magazine beads. I guess she missed her daily naptime!


It was just such a good day hanging out with her. I never had a kid sister, so it was really fun having her around to spoil and play with.

I also spent much of the rest of the weekend with Nova's family. On Saturday, I invited them all over for dinner. I baked chicken with macaroni and cheese and vegetables. Then we watched a bit of "Up" before it was time for them to go. I enjoyed observing Oupa as he watched the movie. He's just a sweet man and he was paying attention to even the small details and laughing quietly every once in a while.

I could kick myself for not getting a photo while everyone was sitting around the table eating. Ouma reminded me of my blunder and had me take one of her sitting at least by the dessert. :)

Matthew is getting so big! Lots of new expressions too. :)

Sunday morning, I picked up the whole gang for church. Well, Nova and Matthew didn't come because they were attending a burial. But Ouma, Oupa, Tsaura, Tudesky and a neighbor/possible cousin came along. I know the service was difficult for Ouma and Oupa to fully understand because they have limited English and people always talk too fast when it's not your first language, but I think they enjoyed it. The music was quite different than they are used to, but I felt like we were still standing there worshipping God together. It was beautiful. Pastor Brian led prayer time and asked others to pray aloud if they wanted. As I've mentioned before, Ouma is a praying woman. She pretty much knew what was going on, but wanted to confirm, and during the prayers she whispered to me to ask if everyone was just praying aloud if they wanted. I said yes. She was the next one to pray. She prayed in her language as she always does. Listening to Ouma pray in her language is one of the most soothing sounds to me. Hearing her voice call out to God in that quiet room was powerful. Hers was the last prayer before Pastor Brian closed. He mentioned how wonderful it is for people of all backgrounds, tribes, and languages to come together for worship and prayer. I couldn't agree more.

Ouma, Oupa, and Tsaura headed back on Tuesday. Oupa told me they will come back to Windhoek before I leave in December to tell me goodbye. I do hope so. Even in the short time I've known them, I feel like they are my own family. I have been blessed so much by knowing them.


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.