Photography 101

/
0 Comments
On Wednesday, I took my creative writing class on a stroll around the neighborhood to try out some of the photography skills they started learning the week before--see their practice paper cameras below. :)

Teaching creative writing and photography, either separately or together, can help build self-esteem and self-confidence in children. Even in the few months I have been working with these kids I have seen a change in them. Once a bit shy and timid, now they come up to me every week and excitedly ask what they are going to learn in my class. That's what every teacher wants to hear!

After they finished writing their personal stories, I wanted to shift mediums to photography for a while. I had them start with paper cameras so they could begin looking at the world from a different perspective, framing photos, and such. This week I entrusted them with real digital cameras. Teacher Elizabeth and I headed out with the kids to walk around the area of Katutura nearby the center. After a few minutes they were snapping away. They learned how to properly handle a camera, using the wrist strap, and to ask permission before photographing people.

I took the first four photos below from our outing, but the rest are theirs. It's a great look at Katutura. Enjoy!






You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.