Southern Hospitality

/
0 Comments
I'm constantly amazed by God's provision and blessings. Wednesday night was no exception. I googled some churches in the Birmingham area to find one that had a Wednesday night service I could attend. I settled on First Baptist Church of Gardendale, just one exit down from where I'm staying. I worked late at the center on Wednesday and wasn't sure I was going to make the 6:15 service, but I headed that way and hoped for the best. I pulled into the parking lot right at 6:15.

FBC Gardendale is a big church, and I wasn't sure where the entrance was. I pulled up beside a lady and asked her to point me in the right direction. She did and I pulled into a parking space. The lady, whose name is Betty, walked into the building with me and asked me where I was from. I told her I was down volunteering. She invited me to sit with her so we found a seat and enjoyed the service together.

After the service, Betty wanted to know more about me. She asked me more about what I was doing, why I came all this way to help, and what else I do. We stood in the lobby for a while as I told her a little more about my life. As we started walking out to the car she asked if I had eaten dinner. I hadn't. She told me she had cooked up some cabbage, pinto beans, corn, potatoes and cornbread. She asked if I wanted to come over and eat some. I was hungry, and she was so sweet. If she didn't mind bringing a stranger into her home, I didn't mind being that stranger. :) I followed her to her home and we had a delicious meal!

Her mother Agnes lives with her. Agnes is 94 years old. And her grandson and his wife live downstairs. Agnes was sitting on the couch when we arrived, watching "church" on television. She is such a sweet lady, still sharp as a tack. Betty and I sat at the kitchen table for over an hour talking about everything under the sun. She asked a lot of questions about the ministries I've been involved in, and I found out more about her life and things she has been through. It was really a sweet time. I could tell she enjoyed the company and I definitely did. I felt at home. And that's always a good feeling when you're out of town!

Betty was interested in the recovery efforts here in Pratt City, so I invited her to volunteer one day if she was able. She came today and stayed for several hours. I showed her around the center and then she helped file the forms after I entered them into the computer. I think she enjoyed it and I certainly enjoyed the help!

I feel blessed to have met her and like I said, I'm constantly amazed at how God provides and blesses. God provided a meal, but rather than just another fast food dinner, He blessed me with a delicious home cooked feast! And I think this is a good example of how sometimes we have to open ourselves up to new places, new people, and a little spontaneity to fully experience all the blessings God has in store with us!


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.