A servant's heart

/
0 Comments
A few days ago I received a survey from Samaritan's Purse that they asked me to fill out after my trip with them to Haiti. At the end it gave the option to share a "God story". The story below is what I shared. I'm not sure I'd specifically label it a "God story", but it was a moment I will never forget. I was humbled, blessed, and challenged by this remarkable little girl.

After a difficult day at the market helping Nathan and Kalebe purchase food for the Lamb Center, we returned to the homes where the children are currently staying. This day was probably not very difficult for Kalebe, the director of the Lamb Center, as he is a Haitian and is used to shopping in the market. But for Nathan and myself, it was a bit trying. There were deep puddles throughout the narrow muddy roads. The traffic was less than civil. And when we started off on foot to help with the shopping, our feet (mine only in sandals--not wise) were quickly covered in mud and whatever else might be mixed in. I said a prayer that God would protect my body, as parasites can live in mud puddles and enter through bare skin.

Back at the children's home, I sat down to rest for a bit. Of course, sitting down means that you will instantly have at least five children hovering over you, pulling your hair, jumping on your lap, and all speaking to you at once in Creole. Even still, I was glad to be with the kids and away from the busy market. One of the older girls, Verlie--who's 11, pointed at my feet and asked if she could wash them. For two weeks, I had observed the hospitality of the Haitian people. They would give up their seats at church so we could sit up front. They are constantly bring chairs, offering a drink, and helping in any way that they can. I usually respond by telling them that I'm fine, I don't need a chair and they don't need to go out of their way to get me a drink. I've never been the type to want people to go out of their way, especially for something that I can easily do without. But this time, the idea of having that brown mess washed off my feet sounded wonderful. So I followed Verlie around to the side of the boys' house, watched as she drew water from the deep well, and stood as she carefully and lovingly washed my feet, one by one, followed by my sandals. I gave her a big hug and many thank yous. I suppose I was struck in that moment with a feeling of being loved and served in a place where I came to love and serve. Oh, we have so much to learn from the Verlies of this world! I'm thankful that God gave me an example of a pure servant's heart that day and I pray that I will always be challenged to serve in such a way.

"The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28



You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.