YOU can give the gift of education in Haiti

/
0 Comments
Haiti is an impoverished nation. This is not news to you. Throughout my years on the mission field, I've learned more and more about the cycle of poverty that exists in countries such as this. Specifically, I've come to understand the impact education (or the lack thereof) can have on a nation. For a while, I didn't realize the significance of statistics telling me that 759 million adults (around 16% of the world's population) are illiterate. I was more concerned about statistics such as over 1.1 billion people in our world don't have access to clean water or over 14,000 children die each day in developing countries because of hunger-related issues. Those were the kinds of statistics that always gripped my attention. Illiteracy and a lack of education in these same nations didn't stand out to me as the most important issue. Through my experiences and research, I now know that there is a cycle of poverty that very much includes this lack of education problem. I have a great and informative book called "Zealous Love". I recommend it for anyone interested in social justice, especially as it relates to our responsibilities in the world as Christians. On their website they explain the lack of education issue like this:
Education is not just about passing exams, getting good grades, or improving comparative national averages. It is about teaching people to think and equipping them with the tools necessary to improve their quality of life globally, nationally, regionally, and personally. A lack of quality education keeps people entrenched in poverty. Poverty is immensely complex, though. A pupil's education depends on more than just their desire for an education. Factors beyond a child's control--such as nutrition, the teacher's ability, and the teacher to pupil ratio--largely determine the outcome of the child's education. If we want to combat poverty--if we hope to see long-term, sustainable development improving the lives of those in need--then we must note the lack of education in our world.
When I think of the unemployment problem worldwide, I realize now that a lack of education perpetuates unemployment, which consequentially leads to poverty within the families and the inability to provide food, shelter, and other basic needs. A statistic from the World Bank website reports that for every year of schooling someone has, there is a corresponding ten percent increase in that person's wages.

Let's look at Haiti specifically... Over two-thirds of the labor force in Haiti do not have formal jobs and I've heard statistics that range from an 80-98% unemployment rate since the earthquake. What are some statistics concerning education here in this country?
  • 50% of primary school age children are not enrolled in school 
  • Approximately 30% of children attending primary school will not make it to third grade 
  • 60% will abandon school before sixth grade 
  • 98% of Haitian youths do not graduate from high school 
As you can see, this is an overwhelming problem that will not be solved in a day. It may not even change much in my own lifetime, though I pray it does! But here's where you can make a difference...

I know two children who need sponsors to attend school for the very first time this coming school year. Their mother I've already introduced to you as my friend NeNe's cousin Maxolyn. She has three boys, Djoubens, Snaïder, and Jeff. Jeff is still a toddler, but the older two are school age. Maxolyn recently asked me if I thought she could put her children in my friend's orphanage. Her biggest reason for wanting to do that is she knew they would have a chance to get an education there through their sponsorship program. Even at barely 20 years old, I know Maxolyn loves her boys. It is incredible to me how she cares and provides for them with the extremely little she has. But she could use some help, as with so many families here.

Djoubens and Snaïder

Maxolyn and NeNe

Here is the cost breakdown for each child to attend school in Despinos.

School fees = $37.50
Uniform = $50
Shoes = $37.50
Books and supplies = $12.50
TOTAL = $137.50 each for one year

If you would like to sponsor Djoubens or Snaïder ($137.50 each) to go to school starting this September email me at hannahsterling@live.com. And I would love for them to be able to be sponsored for years to come. But we can start with this year. If I get a great response, I can put any extra money aside for next year, and so on. And in a couple years, their younger brother Jeff will be old enough to attend Kindergarten.

This is barely one drop in the huge bucket called Haiti, but this is an opportunity of a lifetime for one family here. Thank you for caring for my friends here and for wanting to be involved in making a difference in Haiti!


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.