Caring for orphans AND widows

/
0 Comments
I recently posted the following "status update" on my Facebook. Since it's a bit lengthy and really speaks a lot of what's on my heart right now, I thought I would put it here as well. It's a link to a favorite blog of mine with my comments.

Concerning this blog post by The Apparent Project...

I always love the challenging and thought-provoking messages that come from those serving in Haiti with The Apparent Project. They've been on an incredible journey to help orphans and vulnerable children AND their families in Haiti. This latest blog is a good read for anyone interested in diving into James 1:27. What I can't get out of my mind is a question I've never asked before... If I were a mother who has fallen on hard times for whatever reason. I'm struggling to feed my kids much less give them an opportunity to go to school, what would I want to happen? What kind of help would be the biggest blessing to me? At the top of my list would not be someone sweeping in and taking my child to a foreign country or even to some nice compound in another town. I would, however, love for someone to come alongside of me, and help me get back on my feet so I could do what a mother is supposed to do--care for her children. And I'm thankful for The Apparent Project and their recognition and mission that caring for families and widows is a critical part of caring for orphans and vulnerable children.

With that said, I'm supportive of adoption--both domestic and foreign--and I don't actually believe the church is doing enough in this area (especially domestically). And I have many friends who have adopted or are in the process of adopting. I'm also of course supportive of caring for orphans, though the way we do that needs to be reevaluated (i.e. "orphanages" may not be the best way) and the term "orphan" is often used very loosely. And no, I don't know what it's like to be at the lowest of lows, with my children seemingly suffering the most. But from what I know and what I've seen, we are doing a disservice to this world and to the dignified people we are trying to help, when our first instinct is to take children away from families. Final disclaimer, obviously cases of abuse and neglect are a separate issue. In my 8 years of serving on the mission field, those cases are the exception to what I've typically observed. You can read about my own personal journey with these subjects here

And here is another great blog entry from them. I love how she says, "... we can all have different solutions to the same problem and be in harmony--and should be in harmony." The point is: This is a COMPLEX issue and should be treated as such and there is not one right answer. Stop, think, pray, listen, and then... if led, act, with wisdom, discernment, accountability, and a supportive group who are also doing all of those first steps as well.


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.