Food for Thought

/
0 Comments
(This post was written by Stacy Ellis, but it tells a great story that I was also a part of, and I wanted to share it.)

Yesterday Robby, Katie, Hannah, and I went to our W.O.W. ministry colonia with plans to make dinner for a family that we visit often. However, when we arrived at their home, Rebekah, the grandmother of the family, told us that her daughter’s husband was in the hospital and that we wouldn’t be able to have dinner with them.

Our excitement faded as we trudged back to the van with all of our food. Then Katie said, “Hey guys, we should take some time to pray and see what God wants us to do with all of this,” so we spent some time praying and listening. Well, as Hannah noted, we’re probably the least ‘visionary’ group, and don’t usually get a lot of direct signs and visions for our ministry. However, when I was praying, I asked God to show us where to take the food, and in my mind I heard “rojo”, which means red, and the number six, and I felt that those things might be a description of a house where we were supposed to go.

“I’m not sure if this is actually God or not,” I began as I told them about the impressions I’d gotten, but we decided to drive around the colonia just to see what would happen. We turned down a few streets, and then on a corner I spotted it—a tiny red house, number sixteen.

“Hey guys…there’s a red house…with a six on it,” I said hesitantly. We didn’t stop right away but drove a little further down the road, where a woman walking seemed taken by us. She looked us in the eyes and smiled as we passed. Then Hannah stopped the van, because I think we all just felt like she wanted to talk to us. I, the one who speaks the least Spanish of the group, got out of the van as I wondered what I was going to say to her. I said hello, and thankfully Katie followed. I was secretly hoping that the woman (whose name is Lucy) resided in the red house, but when we asked she pointed to a white one. I felt compelled to question further, and Katie asked if she knew who lives in the red house. “Actually my mother does,” she replied in Spanish.

We then told her about the food, and she was very excited and instantly invited us to her mother’s house! As Hannah and I headed back to our leader’s house to cook the food (because their oven was broken), Katie and Robby spent time getting to know the family. When she and I returned, there was a house full of people-grandparents, aunts, uncles, kids-all eagerly awaiting the food. We were excited because we had plenty of food and were hoping for lots of people. We ate with them and had a great time talking, laughing, and praying together. They prayed for us, and we prayed for their sick daughter and for the husband who would soon be taking a trip to New Orleans.

Getting to know this family was really incredible! They even welcomed us to come and visit with them again next week. Even though several of them are already Christians, we know that we had a purpose for being there because of the way God so obviously answered our prayers. It was exciting to see how He had led our group to them! We all agreed that this was our favorite W.O.W. ministry experience so far. We are looking forward to spending more time with this wonderful family! I personally got a reminder of how important it is to listen for God’s direction in life, even if it’s just about what to do with a whole lot of food!


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.