Gift of Independence

/
0 Comments
I have been here in Windhoek for over three weeks now. I feel already that it is a different world here than when I first arrived--and that world is still evolving. Each day my eyes are opened to something new. My first week here was geared toward orientation and the beginnings of language learning. I was driven wherever I needed to go by a schedule that had already been set for me. This week I felt I finally began to carve out my unique place here, stepping out on my own personal journey.

One of the milestones of this past week was in purchasing a vehicle. Some of you may be surprised to hear that--almost as surprised as I was when I found out I would need one. I hadn't planned nor budgeted for a vehicle because I did not know until I arrived that one would be necessary during my time here. Nonetheless, as I've learned throughout the years, God knows what we need before we even ask Him. There was enough extra funds in my Outgoing account to cover the expense of the vehicle. Instead of having to ask for help from people back home, God had multiplied gifts already given to cover the amount without me even realizing it. God is good!

So hooray--a car was purchased... but that's not really the end of the story. Quite the contrary! In case you hadn't already guessed, Namibians drive on the left side of the road. Another fun fact: the majority of cars are 5-speeds. Needless to say, I was a bit anxious to get out on the roads, remembering to stay on the left side, learning how to shift with my left hand, and so forth. Surprisingly, the shifting came more naturally than I anticipated. After less than a week of driving, I don't even think about it. Staying on the left side of the road hasn't been a problem either (except for one minor, but comical incident today). I do, however, check myself often as I'm approaching a car (on foot) either as driver or passenger because my mind is often leading me to the opposite side. I've entertained more than one seasoned missionary as I've walked mindlessly to the driver's side to get in their car.

I don't take this blessing lightly... not the purchase of the vehicle or even simply being able to drive it comfortably. Often as I am driving down the road I am simply amazed that God has so freely given me this gift of independence here in this city. Obviously I'm totally dependent on God for all things, but in that dependence on Him I can truly say, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." I am amazed by the abilities that God has given me to step out of my comfort zone, move halfway around the world, relate to and love on both children and adults who are from a completely different culture than my own, drive a car around a new town armed with only a map and a decent sense of direction, and really I could go on and on bragging on God who has worked so miraculously in my life. I never dreamed this would be my life, yet here I am... and the journey has just begun.


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.