Merry Christmas!

/
0 Comments
Christmas is referred to by many as the most wonderful time of the year... but where I live there will be no marshmallows for toasting or caroling out in the snow. I must say it's quite interesting celebrating the Christmas Season in such hot weather! In a way, I think it helps ward off a bit of homesickness. I miss my family tremendously--during this season probably more than any other--but since it doesn't actually feel like Christmas, it makes the day seem to just come and go.

My Christmas Day will be similar to Thanksgiving. Several of us are getting together for what should be a delightful meal. Turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, and of course lots of desserts! :) In the morning we'll have a yummy breakfast (which will remind me most of home). It should be a day filled with blessings, good food, and good company. It will also be a day of rest for me as I have been working quite a lot trying to get through my giant to-do list of things I must accomplish here at the office.

Here in Africa, Christmas is not quite as commercialized as it is in America. But there have definitely been signs of Christmas' coming since November. Stores are decorated with red and green, downtown has beautiful lights on display, holiday music is playing nearly everywhere you go. I was talking to my African friend yesterday about how strange it is that they play our traditional Christmas songs speaking of snow and snuggling up by the fire. She said, "Most people probably don't even realize what the songs are saying. Jingle bells? I don't even know what that is." :)

There are many different tribes here in Namibia. Each have their own Christmas traditions, and within each family and community the traditions vary even more. Oshivambos sometimes decorate trees and exchange gifts. For some Oshivambo households in the villages it's a rare time where rice is eaten with a special treat--tomato sauce (what we call ketchup). In these rural places where fake trees and lights aren't available, a big branch is placed in the house and sometimes gets decorated with colorful bottle caps. This seems very African to me, and that's kind of the idea Falconer and I mimicked with our own tree. (See the photo below.) For many tribes, Christmas is centered around family. The Basters often have a braai (what we would call having a barbecue) and simply relax and sit around visiting with one another. Some people of the Ovaherero tribe send the children out on Christmas Eve to find Christmas trees which are used to decorate the main table where food is served. On Christmas morning, you may find some of them watching the sunrise. They say the sun dances on the morning of the birth of baby Jesus.

However you and your family and friends celebrate Christmas, I pray that you will be filled with God's love and love for one another as we remember the reason for this special day. God sent his only Son to earth as a baby, to live and breathe just like us, and to sacrifice His own life so that we may live eternally with Him. There has never been nor will ever be a greater gift than that.

Many blessings this Christmas Season and always!


These first two photos are of our tree. Some might call it pathetic, but we love it. Falconer and I had a blast making the snowflakes. My friend's little sister made the other decorations for us. This will be our holiday tree and we'll keep it all year, decorating it for each new holiday. :)

Here I am with my two roommates (Carolyn on the left and Falconer on the right). We took a two-day mini-vacation last week to Swakopmund, a beautiful coastal town that's a popular destination for us missionaries when we need a little R&R. We had a blast!

Another photo from Swakopmund. I've been to these dunes before and I'm forever fascinated by their incredible beauty! What an awesome God we have who has designed such a mosaic of landscapes across this earth!



You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.