TIA!

/
0 Comments
TIA is an acronym used often by missionaries (and others) all throughout Africa. At times we make observations that really leave us with no other response but "TIA!" ("This is Africa!") Our cross-cultural orientation stressed that we should to be sensitive with our vocabulary and response when we encounter things that are the opposite of what we might expect. Instead of labeling those things as "wrong", we should think more in terms of them simply being different. Thus, a phrase we are taught to adopt is, "It's not wrong, it's just different." Or a common one here in Namibia is, "Wow, that's different." I can attest to the fact that if you enter into a culture with an attitude that the local way of doing things is wrong, then you are setting yourself up for constant frustration and disappointment. It also puts yourself in a position where you may feel that you are better than others, believing you have the answers, thinking that if they only did things the way you would do things their "problems" (which they may not even see as problems) would all disappear. With God's help I have faith that we can make a transforming difference in this world, but I have realized that those changes may not come in the ways we often expect.

So back to my TIA moments... Let me just make a list of some things I have observed that I can simply say are a bit different from the good ole U-S-of-A.

1. If someone tells you, "I am coming now," you can probably expect them anytime within one to four hours. If someone tells you, "I am coming now now," you can typically translate that to mean that they are actually coming at that moment or up to a half hour from now.

2. Many of the highways have only two lanes, one lane in either direction. It is common courtesy to move over to the side of the road, across the yellow line, to allow faster moving traffic to pass you by. If you pass someone in this manner, you can thank them by flashing your hazard lights a couple times.

3. My friend was telling a story of how he was in another town and the exhaust on the van got a crack in it. No worries! He found a hair salon/welder. All was mended.

4. The entire city of Windhoek is a giant men's restroom. You can hardly take a drive around the city without seeing men relieving themselves on the side of the road, in parking lots, just wherever they feel so obliged.

5. Stop signs are treated more like yield signs. Slowing down and rolling through is most common. If you actually stop at a stop sign and there is a car behind you, you might get bumped from behind.

6. Big Brother Africa is similar to the show we have back home. The main difference... the show airs here 24 hours a day. Seems like it would be incredibly boring to watch that for any extended length of time.

7. The cheapest and most common form of cell phone communication is texting. To send a text is referred to as "sending an SMS". When I first arrived I heard even the American missionaries using the term SMS. Although I told myself I would continue to call it texting, slowly but surely I conformed to the vocabulary of everyone around me.

8. Stoplights here are called robots. Running red lights here is as common as running stop signs. The robots change from yellow to red faster than in the States. If you need to make a right turn, you may never make it unless you are already in the middle and turn quickly after the robot changes to red.
9. If you are driving down the highway and a guy steps into the middle of the road and starts waving a bright flag, do not just drive past and wave. Cops sit on the side of the road and set up a radar on a tripod. If they catch you speeding, they will step out and flag you down. I don't actually know what would happen if you did just drive past and wave, but it's generally best to avoid all chances of ending up in an African jail. (Although I've learned the hard way that stopping to talk to them doesn't really better your chances either!)

10. I haven't pumped my own gas in six months. Gas stations here are called service stations. (In South Africa they are called garages.) They truly are full-service. While pumping your gas they will also check your oil and water, clean your windshields, and check your tire pressure. It is courteous to tip according to how many services they provide.

11. ATVs are apparently an acceptable mode of transportation throughout the city. Thankfully I have seen all riders wear helmets. The other day I saw a guy riding a 4-wheeler on the highway and then all of a sudden veer off onto an off-roading trail. I guess that's the point.

12. When you go to the store, the mall, or to town, you will notice car guards in the parking lots or along the streets downtown. These guys (and sometimes gals) work off tips to watch your car. Car theft and break-ins are common realities here, so paying these men a couple Namibian bucks is one added measure of security. N$1 is equivalent to about 13 cents. I tip an average of N$2 depending on how long my car is in the lot. It adds up if you have several errands to run in one day.


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.