Dad and Kelly have arrived!!

/
0 Comments
Dad and Kelly arrived yesterday and we hit the ground running! We had a wonderful lunch at Vintage and they got to meet my sweet friend Nova. From there we hit up the shops so they could see what beautiful crafts Namibia has to offer. I made them my yummy rosemary potato pizza for dinner and we crashed early to get ready for our next full day.

Today has been a wonderful day. Dad and Kelly had packed all kinds of goodies in their suitcases for some of the children here. Some friends back home had donated little boys’ clothing and shoes that were still in pristine condition. I bagged them up to spread them out between some of the little boys I know in Katutura. Kaita got a giant bag filled with all kinds of winter clothes. He also got some sandals, dress shoes, and awesome camo cowboy boots! J The boots went great with his new Disney shirt!

We had enough clothes to share with Elizabeth’s son Benedictus and his cousin Ndjeri. I’ve also become friends with a lady in that same area named Jospehine. She runs a small kindergarten there and had asked for assistance buying tables and chairs. A friend from home gave me money to purchase a couple tables and ten chairs. She was very grateful. We delivered those today and also some of the childrens’ clothes—and some clothes that Falconer had left behind to give away.

It was nice to be able to introduce Dad & Kelly to some of my friends here. They enjoyed seeing the area and witnessing how most of the people here live. I know, for me, seeing these small houses and realizing how many people live in each one, often without their own access to running water and not even a pit latrine for sanitation, reality sets in of the daily struggle for many of these families just to survive. Even with the rugged living conditions, you can’t spend time in this area without noticing all the smiles. Strangers wave at me as I pass by, and the children light up if I show them even the least bit of attention. It has been a real blessing to be invited into the homes of my friends in Katutura, and it was great for Dad and Kelly to be able to be a part of that community, even if only for a couple hours.

Josephine and some of the neighborhood kids.

Gift and Nessy warmed up to Dad and Kelly very quickly.

Kaita and Ndjeri lookin' spiffy in their new clothes!

Yee haw! Kaita was SO proud of his new boots! He'll even have a lot of room to grow into them.

Benedictus was super excited about his new outfit! I think it even gave him special ninja powers!



You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.