A gift for Velly

/
0 Comments
I always bring as many goodies as I can fit in my suitcase for my friends in Haiti. Having been here now several times, I've learned what some of the best and most needed items are to pack. I'm also inspired sometimes with unique ideas for what to bring. Sometimes my friends will specifically ask me to bring them something, like my friend Miracle who crochets and asked me to bring her some yarn. Others ideas come to me through observation.


While in Haiti earlier this year, I went to a nail salon down from the God's Planet guest house run by a lady named Velly. She gives great pedicures for only $2.50! I got a couple much needed ones during my two and a half months in Croix des Bouquets.


Here's a photo of Velly and my soon to be well pedicured foot...



I put out the word back home that I wanted to take her some nail polishes and pedicure supplies. Some of you offered to help and I was able to get a nice little bag filled with items to take her. Unfortunately, Velly was out of town when I was visiting Croix des Bouquets, but her friends were running her shop in her absence and were happy to take them on her behalf. I had built a friendship was Velly and had been looking forward to seeing her and giving her the items in person, but I know it will still be a blessing to her and her shop. Thank you to those of you who gave! I love giving gifts. But I also love empowering those who are trying to earn a living by helping and rewarding them for their business endeavors. I love being able to donate yarn to Miracle and salon supplies to Velly. They are two women of many who are trying to make a way for their families by the work of their own hands. It's commendable and significant, especially in a country where 78% of Haitians live on less than $2 a day, and the unemployment rate is over 40%.

If you'd like to know how you can help those like Miracle and Velly, send me an email and I'll be happy to give you more information.

An outside view of Velly's salon

 Some of the items I brought to give to her


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.