My dog Fibi

/
1 Comments

I figured it was time to give my Haitian doggy Fibi her own post. Last week I got to reunite with her at Sarah's orphanage, and while the week was packed and I saw several friends, Fibi had my attention most of the time. For one, I was so excited to get to see her again! And for two, she needed some veterinary services. 

I got Fibi when she was a puppy on January 28th when Sarah brought her over to the guest house. She had gone to pick up some food from an organization called Love a Child. They had found four puppies scavenging around a burned trash pile. They took care of them while looking for good homes. One of them didn't make it, one they gave to a nearby home, and two Sarah ended up bringing back with her. She gave one to me and one to our friend Diddi. I told Sarah it was a good strategy in trying to get me to stay in Haiti forever because I knew I'd get attached! Thankfully, as Sarah handed the puppy over to me she said that when I leave she would care for the pup at her orphanage. If that wouldn't have been part of the deal, I wouldn't have taken her. I know full well how difficult it is to find a home for stray dogs in the States. It's nearly impossible in a country like Haiti. I'd already had to go through that when I left Frodo and Sam in Namibia.

In trying to come up with a name for my new puppy, I observed her. She was a clumsy little thing, as I suppose most puppies are. I would just smile as she'd stumbled up and down the steps and try to keep her footing on the slick tile floor. I asked what the Creole word was for clumsy and the closest word given to me was "febless". That would have been a cute name on its own, but I decided to shorten it to Fibi. So my little Fibi she became. Within a week I had her potty trained, well #1 anyways! She slept with me every night, sometimes jumping down to her bed (a towel) on the floor, sometimes snuggling up by my head. I can still remember how she'd whine to get up and down from the bed because she was too small. I made a step for her out of my suitcase. Sometimes she'd just suffice to nap there instead of making the next jump up to the bed. She has brought me a lot of joy in a place that can sometimes be overwhelmingly heartbreaking. 

Some of you may think that I talk too much about Fibi or the other pets I've temporarily housed. I can admit I probably take an excessive amount of photos. I love animals. I always have. I remember taking in strays when I was a little girl. So Mom, always remember that it's your fault I bring all these animals home! I learned it all from you! :) But to be honest and a bit transparent for the moment, let me say this... Yes, I'm a missionary. And some people put me on this completely undeserved pedestal that I go off and do all of these great things and make all these sacrifices and so forth. But I am no different than anyone else. I'm just a girl who has taken God's Word for what it is, a commandment to go and be salt and light in a dying and dark world. I can't NOT go, because God's greatest commandment is to love and I've seen the need for love in some difficult places and it's to those places I feel called to go and serve. We all have a purpose and a calling on our lives to love others and to tell others about the wonderful love and sacrifice of God through His Son Jesus Christ. So please don't put me on a pedestal. But sacrifices, yes. I do make them. Being away from the ones I love most in this world is difficult. Though when I think of the sacrifice Jesus made for me, how can I focus on my own comforts and happiness? Well, bringing it back... what does all this have to do with Fibi?? Just because I go out to live and serve in places like Africa and Haiti, and love it, and write about all the blessings therein, doesn't mean that there's not a part of me that desires the same thing many of you have or desire. A home. A family. A pet. Stability. Roots. I do war with these desires though I've tried to be willing to lay down my own rights and desires to seek after God's perfect will for my life. But I do still feel some of those sacrifices. It's frustrating that I can't even have something as simple as a dog because I don't have a home and I'm never in a place long enough to make that 10 year commitment. 

But Fibi came into my life this year and I've tried to love her as much as I can as long as I'm able. I wish I could bring her to Leogane, but we don't have a yard here, just 10 feet of concrete in front of the house and crazy dogs on the other side of the gate. And if I had a home in the States I could try to send her there, but who would care for her? So here she stays. She seems to be happy there. She's pretty good with the kids, though she's still a puppy and has to be disciplined for playing too rough sometimes. She's got Sarah's dog Gracie who's about the same age. I think they're good friends though they're mostly wrestling buddies! I took them both to the vet to get spayed. I've seen too many pathetic mama dogs walking around Haiti and I don't want that for Fibi. Much less having to give Sarah any more mouths to feed! She also had an ear infection I got cleared up. And she was too skinny, so I took the liberty of buying some extra food and fattening her up. She's always been a picky eater but she's getting better now. 

So that's my Fibi. My sweet little Haitian mutt! :) And of course... here are some photos!


Fibi seemed very happy to resume her position in bed with me! I let her start to sleep with me the first night, but then figured it was best to just keep her out like she's used to now. 

She always loved lying on whatever was on the ground. If she found a towel anywhere, it became her bed. I searched for a dog bed, but didn't find one I thought would be appropriate for Haiti or that could fit easily in my suitcase. I ended up getting this comfy bathmat. She knew what to do. :) And I thought if I could get something random like this, as opposed to using a towel, the kids would recognize it as the dog's bed and leave it alone... 

Wrong! Regina and Ashley decided it was their new play mat. They started crawling around and growling like dogs. About 2 minutes after I snapped this photo and went inside, Regina came crying. Ashley had bitten her on the butt. Guess she was playing her role a tad too seriously!

Recovering from her operation. She still had the bandage on from the catheter.

Fibi and Gracie chilling out after their surgery. I was told that they needed to keep calm for one week. Easier said than done!

She even does tricks! NeNe was proud to show me how she can catch food in her mouth. She's really good!

One of the toys I brought her

I had seen them play tug-o-war with toys before, so I knew this would be a perfect toy for them.

Reminiscing about the teeny little gal the day I got her! I thought I had some photos of her and her sister together but I can't find them. But I was able to see her sister "Tig" last week for the first time since the day Sarah picked them up.

They look similar but Tig's a little smaller.

And she's got some crazy ears! Anyone remember the TV show "The Flying Nun"?!


You may also like

1 comment:

Katie said...

Such great words, Hannah! I totally understand that war within us. Praying that He guides you continually into, how Jim Eliot put it, "being all there," wherever that may be. I've been reading in the Psalms a lot, and that is one of the main promises that we can claim. He is guiding us, even when we don't feel it or know it. He has His eye on us! Thankful for you & your willing and obedient heart!

Powered by Blogger.