Photo of the day

/
0 Comments
Someone I served in Haiti with last year posted a photo each day to share with family and friends back home. I thought it was a neat way to record a scene or event from each day that maybe stood out, was unique, or just a snippet of life in Haiti. So I decided I would do the same thing. I'm back in Haiti for three months, so for those 93 days I'm going to commit to doing this for each of you. And it will be yet another way I can "journal" about some of the things I'm experiencing here in Haiti. I can't promise I will post each day, but I will try my best. I am already a few days behind so I will catch up now. And I won't be posting all of these on my blog, but you can find them in a folder called "Photo of the Day" in my Facebook photo albums.

Day 1

In the airport on my way to Haiti I met Hermanie Pierre, a beautiful young woman who will be representing Haiti in the Miss International competition this year. She competed in the Miss Arkansas pageant recently. She was so sweet and patient with everyone who wanted her photo. And she was so excited to meet volunteers who were heading to her country. She would hug them and tell them how happy she was to hear they were going to help Haiti. I asked her what she wishes for her country. She said that Haiti need to do less importing. There are so many skills the Haitians have or could learn to make more products inside Haiti to sell and to export. You can tell she loves her country and is honored to represent it with her beauty and talents.

Day 2

Juny is one of several staff members here at the guest house. Juny does all the shopping (a long day from early morning to afternoon each Friday) and is the main cook for preparing all the meals. Like all of the women here, she always has a smile for me and is ready to give me food and drink anytime I need it. I am always so humbled by the hospitality of Haitians like Juny. From the minute I walked in the door, we were family. It's a beautiful thing! I am so thankful.

Day 3

Dogs on the roof of our neighbor's house. There are many dogs in this neighborhood. Even a couple adorable puppies! (Don't worry, Roland. I know better than to bring them home! Though I can't say the thought didn't cross my mind!) I'm a dog lover. I'll even reach out to pet ones that look nice enough, which many do, though many are also in starvation mode with their ribs and bones sticking out. But I tend to love the dogs a little less in the middle of the night when they are barking and carrying on like they are killing each other while I'm trying to sleep. Some of the volunteers have suggested the dogs put their late-night energy to good use and chase after some of the roosters who obviously don't know what time it is either!

Day 4

If anyone asks... like when I'm trying to get back into the U.S... this is a cow in East Tennessee!! :)

Day 5

It's easy to focus on the problems and dirtiness in Haiti. When I was up on that mountain today, I was reminded of the beauty that is within this country. The rolling hills of mountains, the gorgeous coastline, and of course the people. I am thankful for every spot of beauty in this country. And despite any of the ugliness I may face or witness the hurt in the lives of those I'm here to minister to, I will never stop looking for and praising God for every ounce of beauty in this place.



You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.