What a hike that was!

/
0 Comments
I'm still not sure what motivated me to wake up at 5:30 in the morning to meet a group of veteran hikers for a 6:30am start to a 12.4km hike! Nonetheless, Ana and I rolled out of bed, packed a backpack of snacks and hydration and set off for Avis Dam. We met nearly a dozen 30 to 60-somethings and set off from the base of the Avis Dam hike I'd taken twice before. I got connected to this crew through Linda. They walk/hike every Saturday morning and she joins them every time she is able.

The scenery was spectacular. God staged a beautiful sunrise for us to enjoy, though I wouldn't have minded if He had raised the temperature several degrees and shut off that hounding wind! We were freezing for the first hour or so of the hike. Ana and I wore shorts and capris thinking that we'd end up getting hot. I probably would have been fine in long pants, wishing especially that I'd had them as we were trekking through the desert's jungle of thorns! My legs got pretty scratched up.

I must say, the pace was challenging!! My short legs were going as fast as they could go! I was just amazed by how fit those older hikers were. I've got to get in better shape so they don't leave me in the dust! One of the men reminded me of a younger version of my papaw. Papaw hiked all over the US, and probably every inch of the Smokies. He died on a Friday in his mid-80s and had a hike planned on that Saturday. He was such an amazing man. Papaw hugged hard and hugged often. He never met a stranger and told his grandkids, "Papaw loves you!" more times than we could count. I learned a lot from him. To this day I tie my shoes a special way that he showed me as a little girl. But I digress. :)

I'm proud of myself and of Ana for waking up early and enduring the long trek. My legs are a still feeling it! As long as I'm back in working condition for Monday night soccer, I'll be fine. Wish you could have all come along, but hopefully you'll enjoy the pictures and can pretend you were there. We ended at Heja Lodge, a beautiful retreat at which I would have loved to have spent the whole day! I'll have to go there again, perhaps next time by car!

The waking sun was painting a beautiful landscape all around us.

Ana's beautiful smile despite the chilly mountain air!

The view was incredible throughout every step of the hike.

Linda and I celebrating our 12.4km accomplishment at Heja Lodge.

This is a short clip to give you an idea of what a typical 360-degree view was from the hike. We walked a good bit of the way along the dry riverbed, sometimes we were at the peak of a mountain, and here is a typical view between the hills.



Click here to view the rest of my photos from the hike.Align Center


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.