From cashier to friend

/
2 Comments
Every day we have the opportunity to make someone's day a little brighter. How many times during the week do you go to the grocery store or eat at a restaurant or go to the bank? I think it's easy for us to forget sometimes that the people who are serving us at these places are... people. That lady behind the counter is a person who perhaps... has a family.... is having a great day... is facing a difficult hardship... is lonely... is new in town... is wondering if anyone cares about her... is struggling to make ends meet... is contemplating suicide... is wishing she could be anywhere but at work... is counting how many people actually acknowledge her existence with a smile. Who knows what they are thinking about on a regular basis and what they are facing outside of their job? The point is, we have a very regular opportunity to help bring some joy to their day, offer encouragement, and even pray for them.

Soon after I arrived in Namibia, I started shopping. Groceries, things for my room, clothes suitable for Namibian weather, and so forth. During one of those shopping trips I met Martha (pronounced Marta). Martha is a cashier at CNA, a stationery/supplies/bookstore kind of place. I don't remember how exactly we hit it off, but our relationship couldn't have began without my own willingness to get to know her. And I can admit that sometimes when I'm rushing around trying to get all my errands done, I'm not super willing to get to know whoever is helping me behind the counter. Sometimes I admit I don't even greet them as much as I should. But Martha and I quickly got to talking. She asked me where I was from, what I was doing here, and other questions I typically get when people notice I'm not from around here. From then on, whenever I went to CNA, I would make sure to say hi to her, even if I had to go looking for her somewhere in the store. When my mom and aunt and Dad and Kelly came to visit, I took them into CNA to introduce them to Martha. She's heard me talking about my family, so I thought it would be neat for her to actually meet some of them!

I went to CNA over the weekend to get a few last-minute things. Lately, I haven't seen Martha as I've passed by, so I wasn't certain she was still working there. As I was checking out I asked for her and was happy to hear she was still there. They called her to the front and she gave me a big hug. I told her I would be leaving soon and she said that we must get together. We made a plan and met for lunch today during her lunch break.

It was so nice getting to know her a bit more over lunch. She asked a lot of questions about how my time here has been, and I asked her several questions about her own life. Martha is about 36 or so. She has three daughters... 16, 14, and 2. She has never married, but the father of the two eldest is a part of their lives. He is from Angola and went away for a while. Now he is back and even helps care for the small girl, though she is not his own. Martha says, "He has forgiven me for my mistake. He adores her." She adds, "For whatever reason, we have chosen not to marry. I think it is just not for us." After I said a prayer of thanks for our meal she said, "So you are a Christian?" I said yes and asked if she was. "No. I grew up Roman Catholic. We believe more in Mary and those things." We talked a little more about her background. I had brought along a Bible to give her. I told her to read it, and learn more about Jesus and what He has done for her. She said she would.

As I listened to her talk about her life, it was similar to many other stories that I've heard. She has, however, completed her education up to Grade 12. Only half of Namibians have completed up to Grade 10. So I was quite impressed with that. "At the time that I [graduated], the main fields were to be a teacher or a nurse. I didn't really want to do either so I decided to get a job like this one and it was fine for me," she told me. "But I encourage my children to pursue a higher degree." We talked some about the politics and history of Namibia. She remembers hearing gunshots quite regularly when she was a little girl. The war for independence in Namibia was a great struggle for so many.

She also talked about a recent murder that occurred. Another teenage girl was raped and murdered, slit throat. (See previous story from a similar murder in Windhoek this year.) Indeed, terrible things are happening in this country just like in nearly every other part of the world. And then she told me a story... When her eldest daughter was a little over a year old, she went missing. She had been standing in the yard by the front gate. The next thing Martha knew, her daughter was gone. Everyone started searching for her. As Martha began to search near the riverbed, she saw a woman carrying her child in her arms. The woman handed the child to Martha and disappeared. Martha calls that woman an angel. Her daughter was unconscious. She had been found in a plastic bag, left for dead. She had been beaten all over her body, with severe head wounds. A boy, around seven years old, was identified as the one who committed this terrible crime. He had even tried to rape her, but was unsuccessful. At such a young age he was never punished or prosecuted.

Martha has come a long way since that terrible incident. "Now I can tell that story without crying," she remarked. As her daughter grew up, Martha told her about what happened to her. "She is strong. Now she can help others who also face such things." Like so many women here, Martha is also very strong. She is resilient despite all the hardships she has faced. I hope that my time here, getting to know her more and more with each visit, has been an encouragement to her. And as I leave Namibia to head back to the States for a while, I will remember Martha and how easy it was for her to go from just a cashier to my friend. And there is no excuse for me, or any of us, not to be building relationships just as easily wherever in this world we may find ourselves.



You may also like

2 comments:

Stacy E said...

Love your posts today! This one especially. Such a good reminder!

I love ya Han!

Kelly Sterling said...

I remember meeting her while we were there. I'm sure it's been a blessing for both of you to become friends. Love ya!

Powered by Blogger.